Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

MLB ERA

Re: Braves 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

Braves agreed to terms with outfielder Matt Diaz on a one-year, $1.225 million contract.
    Diaz was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He could be the Braves' starting left fielder this season, depending on whether the club elects to keep Brandon Jones. If Jones stays, then Diaz should play primarily against lefties.
    Diaz is a decent player.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Mike Hampton will enter spring training without any restrictions, the Braves said.
    "He's fine. He's 100 percent," general manager Frank Wren said. Hampton has missed 2 1/2 seasons with elbow troubles and he injured his hamstring in his lone appearance in winter ball, so there's good reason to be skeptical. Hampton is practically guaranteed a rotation spot if he makes it through camp healthy, though he'd still be a poor risk in fantasy leagues.
    It's just a matter of time until he gets hurt again. I hope he can come back strong though.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Chuck James has resumed throwing off flat ground, though he conceded that his shoulder is still bothering him on occasion.
    James was diagnosed with a slight tear in his rotator cuff after last season. He's going to try to pitch through it, but it's possible surgery will become an option at some point. If James has a setback this spring, then Jair Jurrjens and Jeff Bennett would be the favorites to replace him in the rotation.

Two years removed from shoulder surgery, Blaine Boyer said than he’s getting more extension with his pitching arm than he ever got before.
    Boyer said he never realized before that he was cutting off his follow-through. The 26-year-old right-hander is out of options and should have a good chance of making a Braves bullpen minus Oscar Villarreal and Joey Devine.
    Hopefully James can pull through. I would like to see him bounce back from last season.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's David O'Brien, the Braves and Jeff Francoeur could come to terms on a long-term deal within the next couple of weeks.
    Francoeur will be arbitration eligible for the first time next year and a free agent after 2011. He has the same amount of service time as Ian Kinsler, who just signed for $22 million over five years. Odds are that he'll want more than that in order to give up any free agent seasons.
    I hope to see this happen soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12