Thread: Notes: James scratched from start

MLB ERA

Notes: James scratched from start

Braves.com
    CINCINNATI -- Over the past few months, Chuck James has searched for ways to regain his normal arm strength. While the Braves allow him to rest his inflamed left shoulder over the next week, he's hoping to find it.

While watching James surrender four homers in just three innings against the Giants on Thursday, Braves manager Bobby Cox could tell something was wrong with his 25-year-old southpaw. Thus, Cox has opted to scratch James from his scheduled start against the Reds on Tuesday and instead go with Jo-Jo Reyes.

"I just think it's in the best interest of Chuckie to miss a turn," Cox said. "Maybe skipping him, just for one start, will get him back to form. I don't think it's any serious arm problem or anything."

The Braves medical staff says James has an impingement in his left shoulder. In other words, they believe inflammation around his rotator cuff is what has caused him to often feel like he can't put any strength behind his pitches.

James, who is 9-9 with a 4.22 ERA, says he's battled this feeling at the end of some of his other professional seasons. One concern is the fact that he made reference to this feeling after his final start before the All-Star break. Although the break afforded him nine days of rest, he still hasn't regained normal comfort on a regular basis.

"I definitely think it's what needs to happen, especially since we're in this [postseason] race and all," said James, who is 1-2 with a 4.89 ERA in the seven starts he's made since the All-Star break. "Me tying to battle through it obviously isn't helping us out much."

While not picking up a baseball since Thursday's forgettable outing, James says he's felt some relief. He plans to throw a bullpen session on Thursday with the hope that he'll be able to start against the Cardinals in St. Louis on Sunday.

"Just missing one turn, I think he'll be fine," Cox said. "I don't want to disable him."

In order to make room Reyes, Cox may choose to take a position player off his active roster. The likely option would be Martin Prado, who started at second base during Monday night's series opener against the Reds to give Kelly Johnson a rest.

Reyes didn't exactly impress while posting an 8.72 ERA in the five starts he made for Atlanta this year. But in the two starts he's made since going back to Triple-A Richmond, the 22-year-old southpaw has totaled 13 innings and allowed just one unearned run. In the process, he's surrendered four hits, registered 12 strikeouts and issued two walks.

"He's getting them out easy," said Cox of Reyes, who allowed seven homers in the 21 2/3 innings he completed for Atlanta this year.

Renteria getting antsy: Before going out to field grounders during Monday's batting practice, Edgar Renteria said he felt he was healthy enough to come off the disabled list. But it seems like Cox wants to wait at least a few move days before activating his veteran shortstop.

When asked if there was a chance Renteria could return on Tuesday, Cox said, "I think that's pushing it."

Renteria, who has been out since suffering a high right ankle sprain on Aug. 2, has taken batting practice two straight days. But this was the first time he tested his lateral mobility while fielding ground balls.

Dotel realizes improvement: When Octavio Dotel wasn't able to simply play catch before the Aug. 10 game in Philadelphia, the Braves decided to put him on the disabled list. Because he was able to perform this function before Monday's game, the right-handed reliever at least gained a sense that his right shoulder is improving.

"I wasn't throwing 100 percent," said Dotel, who was placed on the disabled list with a strained right shoulder. "But the fact that I was able to do it tells me that I'm feeling better."

Although he is eligible for activation on Thursday, Dotel likely won't return to the Braves bullpen mix until next week. He'll play catch again on Tuesday and then possibly test the shoulder with a bullpen session on Thursday.

Tex gives it a go: Mark Teixeira didn't exactly have a chance to celebrate Sunday afternoon's two-homer performance against the Diamondbacks. Instead, the Braves first baseman spent much of Sunday's evening hours battling a 24-hour flu.

Knowing that Teixeira had lost lots of fluids on Sunday night, Cox was planning to use Chris Woodward as his first baseman on Monday. But after consuming some Gatorade, Teixeira arrived at the stadium and said he was ready to play.

Coming Up: The Braves will continue their four game series against the Reds on Tuesday night at 7:10 p.m. ET. Reyes (0-1, 8.72 ERA) will be opposed by Bobby Livingston (3-3, 4.70).
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Braves Re: Notes: James scratched from start

Here's hoping Jo-Jo can produce a quality start for the Braves tonight....