Thread: Franco to join Class-A Rome on Thursday

MLB ERA

Franco to join Class-A Rome on Thursday

Minorleaguebaseball.com
    Rome, GA -- The Rome Braves announce that Atlanta Braves star Julio Franco will join the team beginning Thursday, August 16th. The 48-year-old first baseman cleared waivers and accepted a Minor League assignment with Rome, with an agreement the Braves would bring him back to the Majors by Sept. 1. That's when rosters can be expanded for the season's final month. The veteran first baseman will celebrate his 49th birthday Aug. 23rd.

"It's an honor to have someone with his experience and tenure joining our team," says Rome General Manager Michael Dunn. Franco is expected to be with Rome through Saturday and possibly longer.

Rome continues their road trip in Greensboro tonight. The Braves return home on Thursday August 16 to play the Greenville Drive.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Re: Franco to join Class-A Rome on Thursday

Why Class A?

They can't even put him at AAA?

MLB ERA

I don't know how the Minors are with roster spots but I was thinking it was because they didn't want to put him in AAA and send someone down to AA just because of Franco.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Eh, I think he's earned that right playing in the majors for 500 billion years.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Whatever happened to Matt Franco?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

"I could have started somewhere in Triple-A, but I didn't want to do that,"
    Julio Franco wanted to play at Class A so he could share his knowledge with young players.
    I'm not surprised.