Quote Originally Posted by Braves.com
ATLANTA -- Now that he's regained the tempo and success he had during Spring Training, Lance Cormier is determined to prove he can be an asset to the Braves starting rotation. But over the next few days, he's going to be asked to provide relief to a fatigued group of relievers.

Having used each of his seven relievers, including three for multiple innings on Thursday night, Braves manager Bobby Cox entered Friday's series opener against the Rockies knowing there was a chance he was going to need Cormier to make his first relief appearance of the season.

"I want to get in the game because I'm up here and I want to pitch," said Cormier, who was recalled from Triple-A Richmond to assume the roster spot of Jo-Jo Reyes, who earned a return trip to Richmond after lasting just three innings on Thursday.

Because there is a scheduled off-day on Monday, the Braves won't need to put Cormier in their rotation until their Aug. 11 game in Philadelphia. Until Tuesday, the 26-year-old right-hander will be available out of the bullpen.

When Cormier posted a 1.15 ERA in five Grapefruit League appearances this year, it looked like he might be an asset at the back end of the starting rotation. But he suffered a strained right triceps muscle during his final exhibition season start and wasn't able to join the Atlanta rotation until early June.

While going 0-2 with a 15.26 ERA in two starts with Atlanta, Cormier lacked his normal arm strength and consequently altered his mechanics, to the point where he struggled with control. Consequently, he was sent back to Richmond, where he battled frustration until the All-Star break, during which he was able to put his mind at ease.

"It was weighing a lot on my mind how the mechanics weren't there anymore," Cormier said. "I was just trying to battle through things. The days off at home helped. The last four starts have gone real well."

In his past four starts with Richmond, Cormier went 3-1 with a 0.93 ERA. If he can continue this success, he'll prove to be much more of an asset than Reyes, who was 0-1 with an 8.72 ERA in his five Major League starts.

Reyes, a 22 year-old southpaw, completely understood the Braves' decision to send him back to the Minors for further development. Before making his Major League debut on July 7, he'd made just 17 starts above the Class A level and each of them came this year.

"I didn't do my job up here," Reyes said. "It's a long road ahead. I've just got to keep my head up and keep on working."

Walking wounded: During the extra innings of Thursday's loss, Chipper Jones aggravated a left thumb injury and Jeff Francoeur suffered a bruised left wrist, courtesy of a Trever Miller pitch. But they weren't the only injured members of the Braves lineup on Friday.

Over the past few days, Andruw Jones has been battling discomfort in his left elbow. He had it wrapped for Friday night's game. The ailment is hindering his ability to reach pitches on the outside portion of the plate.

Devine promoted: Instead of promoting a Minor League infielder when they placed Edgar Renteria on the disabled list Friday, the Braves instead chose to fortify their bullpen with Joey Devine, who has appeared in just three games despite being called to the Major Leagues on three previous occasions this year.

Devine was expected to get to Turner Field around 8:30 p.m. ET. That gave Cox the confidence that he'd be available to pitch any time after the fifth inning.

Well-earned rest: Two relievers who definitely weren't going to pitch on Friday were Oscar Villarreal and Ron Mahay. Villarreal threw two innings on Wednesday and then was forced to throw the final two innings on Thursday.

As for Mahay, who was acquired from Texas on Tuesday, he allowed just one earned run in three innings on Thursday. That effort combined with the scoreless inning he provided in his Atlanta debut on Wednesday instantly allowed him to gain favor with Cox.

"He looked better than any [left-handed reliever] we've had all year," Cox said of the 36-year-old southpaw.

Drese signed: The Braves have signed Ryan Drese to a Minor League contract and assigned him to Class A Myrtle Beach, where he'll start Saturday night. The 31-year-old right-hander, who has made 96 career Major League starts, underwent elbow ligament transplant surgery in April of last year.

Coming up: The Braves will continue their three-game series against the Rockies on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. ET. They'll send Tim Hudson (11-5, 3.09) to the mound to oppose Ubaldo Jiminez (1-0, 3.50).
I sure hope Cormier can put his misfortune behind him and step up with the struggles the Braves have had recently.

I don't see too much coming from Drese anytime soon. This is how desperate the Braves are right now.