Thread: Reyes starting on Saturday

MLB ERA

Reyes starting on Saturday

Remember him?

Braves will call up Reyes to start | ajc.com

Los Angeles — Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia heard Jo-Jo Reyes would be brought up to start for the Braves on Saturday at San Diego, and didn't for a moment wonder whether the left-hander was ready.
    "He's awesome, man," said Saltalamacchia, who became a close friend of the pitching prospect while they were teammates at three minor-league levels, including this season at Class AA Mississippi.
    Reyes, 22, will be added to the 40-man roster and promoted from Class AAA Richmond to start Saturday in place of John Smoltz, who returned to Atlanta to have his sore pitching shoulder examined.
    Smoltz will skip Tuesday's All-Star Game in San Francisco, but is scheduled to avoid a stint on the disabled list and return to start the fifth game after the break, July 17 vs. Cincinnati.
    The Braves and Smoltz think he has only lingering inflammation in his right shoulder, and believe it can be alleviated with 10 days of rest and medication. Doctors in Atlanta will have the final say in that. Smoltz is expected to be re-examined next Friday.
    Reyes, 22, has moved ahead of lefty Matt Harrison as the Braves' top pitching prospect with his performance this season. He was 8-1 with a 3.56 ERA in 13 starts at Mississippi, with 71 strikeouts in 73-1/3 innings.
    The California native has pitched even better since a promotion to Richmond, posting a 2-0 record and 1.57 ERA in four starts, while allowing 21 hits and 10 walks with 27 strikeouts in 23 innings.
    "He's got four pitches he's got good command of," Saltalamacchia said of Reyes, who usually works in the 89-91 mph range with his fastball, topping out at 93-94. "He's dealt with a lot and has a real good head on his shoulders. He's a humble guy and great in the clubhouse. It's going to be fun."
    The Braves had not made an announcement Thursday, but Reyes was scratched from his scheduled Saturday start at Richmond, and several Braves were told he was being brought up.
    "They haven't announced anything, but that's the name I keep hearing," said Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has heard glowing reports on Reyes all season from team officials. "They talk a lot about Jo-Jo."
    This week Cox met the parents of Reyes, a native of West Covina, Calif. They were at Dodger Stadium for a game, and couldn't have known their son would be called up this weekend in San Diego.
    Reyes will have plenty of friends and family members in attendance for his debut Saturday at Petco Park against the Padres.
    The big lefty (6 feet 2, 230 pounds) was a second-round draft pick in 2003 and got off to a promising start before a torn elbow ligament in 2004 required surgery and forced him to miss big chunks of two seasons.
    He bounced back in 2006 by going 12-5 with a 3.51 ERA in 27 starts between Class A stints with Rome and Myrtle Beach.

MLB ERA

Re: Reyes starting on Saturday

I am hoping this game will be on FOX where I'm at instead of the stupid Yankees but they are playing the Angels so it won't be a total disappointment. Hopefully Reyes can put up the slack.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."