Braves.mlb.com

ATLANTA -- As he said back during Spring Training, Braves manager Bobby Cox plans to remain in his current position through at least the end of the 2008 season. The contractual confirmation came Wednesday afternoon when the Braves announced they had extended his contract for another year.

"I'm delighted," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "He's the best manager in baseball. It goes without saying that he's been the key and constant ingredient in the run of success that we've had."

Schuerholz and Cox have discussed the expected announcement since the end of last season. They reached an agreement late last week and opted to delay the announcement until the Braves came back to Atlanta to begin a two-game series against the Cubs on Wednesday night.

"It's not a big deal, because this is something we've talked about for a while," Cox said. "But it's a big deal to come back. As long as the players can put up with me and the organization still wants me, [I'll keep going]."

Since Cox assumed his current role midway through the 1990 season, the Braves have enjoyed one run of 14 consecutive division titles, made five trips to the World Series and won a world championship. His 2,180 wins place him fifth on the all-time managerial wins list.

In early March, Cox indicated that there was a good chance he would retire at the end of the 2008 season. As of Wednesday, he hadn't changed his mind. But there's still indication that he's keeping his options open.

"I don't know," Cox said. "When I was asked that question, I said I was going [to manage through] '07 and '08. After that, I didn't know."

Schuerholz has worked alongside Cox since the Braves began their great run during the 1991 season. Contractually, he is signed through the end of this season. But many believe he might choose to continue in his role for at least a few more seasons.

When asked if he had been given an extension, Schuerholz deflected the day's attention back towards Cox.

"I'm signed for long enough," Schuerholz said with a smile. "It really is about Bobby today."

The Braves' sale to Liberty Media could be announced within the next month. Although Time Warner will no longer own the club, the Braves are expected to maintain their same managerial team.

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig has made it known that he wants Cox and Schuerholz to stay in Atlanta as long as they want.
Well at least we have Cox for another 2 years.