Thread: Notes: Addressing Hampton's salary

MLB ERA

Notes: Addressing Hampton's salary

Braves.mlb.com

ATLANTA -- After learning that Mike Hampton underwent successful surgery on his left elbow on Tuesday morning, the Braves were left with the realization that he'll miss a second consecutive season. Now they can only hope that insurance will cover a portion of the $14.5 million salary that he's owed this year.

Though general manager John Schuerholz wouldn't directly comment on Hampton, he did provide some indication that there's at least a chance the Braves will get some assistance with this hefty salary.

"It's so technical," Schuerholz said. "It's impossible to make a general statement, except that it's fair to assume that some clubs, if not most clubs, try to insure their players when they can. We try to do the same thing. After that it gets very technical and very specific."

Over the next few weeks and months, lawyers and insurance agents will do plenty of research on this case. They'll need to gain an understanding of when Hampton tore the left flexor tendon that was repaired by Dr. David Altchek in New York on Tuesday.

In the process they'll be looking back at Sept. 25, 2005, which is when Altchek performed Tommy John elbow-reconstruction surgery on Hampton. That procedure was different in the fact that it consisted of transplanting a ligament into the left-hander's elbow.

If the Braves are able to recover a portion of the money they had earmarked for Hampton, it can be assumed that they'll use the funds to improve their roster. Again, Schuerholz would only generally talk about this matter.

"It would be a fair assumption to make if a player on any team, generally speaking, not this particular case, were insured, and the team was certain that they were going to recover some portion of a player's salary, that they likely would want to invest it in the team," he said.

Because of Hampton's large salary and recent injured past, the financial aspects are an interesting portion of this story. But manager Bobby Cox hasn't forgotten that this is definitely an emotional time for Hampton, who missed all of last season and has pitched in just 12 games since the start of the 2005 season.

"Any athlete that has a makeup like him, it hurts them not to be on the field," Cox said. "It's hard. I told him, 'It's going to be the hardest thing you've ever done.' I feel for all those guys that have to sit like that. You run out of [encouraging] things to say and tell them. They get tired of hearing it, too."

Cox had envisioned Hampton winning at least 15 games this year. Now he can only hope the 34-year-old pitcher returns next year and is able to finally put an end to his injury woes.

"I don't think there's anything left in there to tear," Cox said.
    I can deal with missing 1 full season, that of course is understandable but missing a 2nd straight season is not with what they are paying him for.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Notes: Addressing Hampton's salary

The Braves will have owed Hampton $48.5 million for the years 2006 to 2008.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    The Braves will have owed Hampton $48.5 million for the years 2006 to 2008.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Just too much money to waste on someone that will miss at least half of that.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."