Braves Mailbag @ Braves.mlb.com

I've noticed Mike Gonzalez hasn't been pitching too well during Spring Training. Is there reason for concern? Is there anything wrong with his elbow?
-- Amber T., Corona, Calif.

Obviously, looking simply at the statistics, one would be led to believe that something must be wrong with Gonzalez. Through Gonzalez's first six innings, he allowed seven earned runs, issued four walks and saw opponents compile a .357 batting average.

In fact, after he allowed three hits, including a two-run homer, against the Cardinals on Friday night, I was half-expecting Gonzalez would begin to show some signs of worry. But instead, I just was reminded that I still have a lot to learn about the personality of this talented reliever, who converted 24 of 24 save opportunities for the Pirates last year.

Instead of showing signs of worry, Gonzalez proclaimed excitedly that he felt he was one appearance away from showing some signs of normalcy. I guess he'll just have to excuse the impatience shown by those of us who watched a group of relievers blow 29 save opportunities last year for the Braves.

But the fact is, I really don't think there is reason to worry. If he's just easing into things as he prepares for the regular season, that's his prerogative, and, quite frankly, I think it's a pretty smart choice.

Last time I checked, all Grapefruit League ERAs will be erased when the regular season begins. Sadly, for the likes of Travis Wilson and James Jurries, impressive stats compiled in Spring Training basically provide nothing but pleasant memories.

All I can say is that Gonzalez's pitches have the liveliness that indicates they aren't being produced with the aid of a damaged elbow. And if his elbow were a concern, he definitely wouldn't have pitched with just one day of rest on Friday.

Relief pitchers are basically their own species. You've got a guy such as closer Bob Wickman, who claims he approaches March games with the same intensity that he would a regular-season appearance. You've got Rafael Soriano, whose intimidating stare provides indication that he's unaware of the luxury of easing into things.

And then you've got Gonzalez, who says we won't truly see what he has to offer until his adrenaline starts pumping in the regular season. If this is what it takes for him to stay fresh through the end of the season, then I don't think there will be any Braves fans who will actually have any memory of what he's done these past couple of weeks.

What are the chances the Braves make a move for a player such as Rays outfielder Rocco Baldelli?
-- James D., Lincroft, N.J.

To tell you the truth, I'll never know exactly why the Devil Rays ended their talks with the Braves concerning Baldelli. If the Braves really were willing to package Yunel Escobar and Jarrod Saltalamacchia along with a Major League-caliber arm, I have no earthly idea why Tampa Bay's management would just suddenly and inexplicably lose interest.

This seemed as if it would have been a tremendous deal in December. Now, I'm not quite as sure about the possibility of the Braves once again making this offer. The trade value for Escobar is sky-high, and I just don't see where there would be a need to package him in any deal that didn't include the return of at least one proven All-Star or multiple top-flight prospects.

When healthy, Baldelli has proven to be one of the game's top young outfielders. And his economical contract only heightens interest in him. With Baldelli, the Braves would have a legitimate leadoff hitter who would physically fill the defensive void created by Andruw Jones' potential departure via free agency.

I haven't heard a thing about a Baldelli deal since the end of the Winter Meetings. But given his talent and contract, I'm sure the Braves will once again at least attempt to discuss a potential trade for him.

What happened to James Juries after his stellar performance last spring? All I've read about him this spring is that he leads the team in errors.
-- Chad S., Tallahassee, Fla.

After hitting .431 (22-for-51) in Spring Training last year, Jurries was sent to Triple-A Richmond, where his mental pains quickly were joined by physical ones. Three weeks into the season, he was hit with a batting practice line drive that broke his leg.

When Jurries returned in June, he never really regained his once-promising stroke. Combined, he hit .181 in June and July. In August, he showed slight improvement, compiling a meager .234 batting average.

His stock, which has always been weakened by his defensive efficiencies, had reached rock bottom. When the Braves left him unprotected by taking him off their 40-man roster, he didn't receive interest from other teams.

Jurries will likely begin this season back at Richmond. With his health back, hopefully he can experience a career rebound. But for now, I don't foresee him spending much time in Atlanta.

In your opinion, who is the best prospect in Atlanta's Minor League system?
-- Cody C., Temple, Texas

I haven't had the opportunity to see Elvis Andrus play on a regular basis. But based simply on what I've heard and seen, this 18-year-old shortstop might soon be considered the top prospect in all of baseball. He's bulked up and now weighs 195 pounds.

From a pitching perspective, Matt Harrison is something special. He's got great command and a breaking ball that would baffle more than a few big-league hitters. At 6-foot-5, this left-hander will draw plenty of comparisons to the once-dominant form of Steve Avery.

But just based on what I've seen, the best prospect is Escobar. The 24-year-old shortstop can run, field and hit for both power and average. His muscular frame indicates that he could hit 30-plus homers regularly at the big-league level. This is the one guy in the farm system who I can confidently say will appear in multiple Major League All-Star Games.

I took Soriano in a fantasy pool this season, and I was wondering where you thought he would fit in this year? Is there a chance of him at taking the closer's job later in the season?
-- Michael S., Athens, Ga.

There's certainly a chance that Soriano could assume the role. But my advice to all fantasy players would be to only take Soriano, Wickman or Gonzalez if you've got somebody else to compile saves.

With each of them capable of serving as a closer, they potentially all could end the season with 10-plus saves. If you still want to roll the dice and have to have one of these guys helping you compile saves, then go with Wickman. For now, it looks like he'll get a majority of the opportunities.

But if you're looking for strength in the strikeout and WHIP categories, Soriano would be your best option. Gonzalez's occasional control problems takes away from some of his overall fantasy value.