Justice will be a 'first' for Hall | ajc.com

David Justice will become the first Braves player who was part of the run of 14 consecutive division titles to be inducted into the team's Hall of Fame, the team announced Monday.

It's a fitting first choice. It was Justice who delivered the winning home run in the decisive game of the 1995 World Series, the first and only championship in Atlanta major professional sports.

That was the night Atlanta fans showered Justice with boos after he had taken them to task for being apathetic. The boos lasted until the sixth inning, when Justice connected with the bases empty off Cleveland's Jim Poole, providing the only run of Game 6.

His former manager was excited about it.

"I love it," Bobby Cox said. "I think it's wonderful. He's absolutely deserving.

Great player, great guy. I think it's a super choice. I couldn't be happier."

Justice, who was drafted by the Braves, played eight seasons in Atlanta (1989-96), taking over the right-field spot vacated by Dale Murphy. He was National League rookie of the year in 1990 and became the first Braves player since Murphy and Bob Horner to hit 20 or more homers his first three seasons.

The two-time All-Star had his best season in 1993, with 40 home runs and 120 RBIs. He was traded in 1997 to the Indians, ironically, in a cost-cutting move to free up salary to re-sign Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux. Justice played with the Yankees and Athletics before retiring in 2002.

Justice had star quality that transcended baseball, with handsome looks, a flamboyant wardrobe and a four-year marriage to actress Halle Berry. He was a force in the Braves clubhouse, at times charming and other times outspoken on issues from baseball to race.

Justice will be inducted Aug. 17. Fans can reserve tickets by calling (404) 614-2310.