Thread: Notes: Hudson gets sweet revenge

MLB ERA

Notes: Hudson gets sweet revenge

Braves.mlb.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Scheduled to work just three innings against the Yankees, Tim Hudson convinced Braves manager Bobby Cox to let him have another chance to save face against good friend Jason Giambi.

Two innings earlier, Giambi had once again victimized his former A's teammate with his powerful swing. But Thursday's fourth-inning encounter was won by Hudson, who finally got the Yankees slugger to swing and miss at strike three.

"I knew Giambi was on deck," Hudson said of his reasoning to pitch the fourth inning. "I didn't want to go out like a punk. So I went out there to face him. I figured the odds were in my favor."

While Hudson was pitching at Yankee Stadium on June 26, 2006, it took just two innings for Giambi to account for two of the three career homers he's compiled in 19 career at-bats against the Braves right-handed hurler.

Thus, it was kind of like deja vu when Giambi opened Thursday's second inning, at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex, by drilling Hudson's misplaced sinker over the left-field wall.

"He got it, similar to last year," Hudson said. "Before that at-bat, he was 3-for-3 with two homers, so I made him 4-for-4 with three homers. I was trying to work on his confidence a little bit."

Other than the sinker he left up in the zone to Giambi, Hudson provided plenty of positives for the Braves, who dropped a 5-3, 11-inning decision to the Yankees. For the most part, he kept his sinker down in the zone and was able to escape his four-inning effort having allowed just one earned run on four hits.

"Huddy looked really great," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "He's got his stuff moving again."

While 13-12 with a 4.86 ERA in 2006, Hudson had trouble keeping his sinker and split-finger fastball out of the hitter's zone. But while allowing just one earned run through his first five Grapefruit League innings, he's displayed a more consistent delivery and consequently realized more consistency with the location of his pitches.

"I'm getting a lot of ground balls, and I'm getting a lot of swings and misses with my sinker," Hudson said. "That didn't really happen last year. ... [Opposing hitters] are reacting the way they're supposed to react to the sinker, which is chopping it and missing it."

Soriano impresses: Other than hanging a few sliders, Rafael Soriano looked pretty impressive during his Braves debut Thursday. The right-handed reliever, who allowed the Yankees two hits in a scoreless sixth inning, showed good life on his fastball and no signs that his recent shoulder soreness will be a problem.

"I liked him a lot," Cox said. "The ball really explodes out of his hand."

Soriano, who was acquired from the Mariners in December, had experienced some soreness in his right shoulder earlier this week. But he says it won't be a problem. He believes he simply strained a muscle while performing some aquatic exercises.

Papa was wrong: As Tony Pena Jr. came to the plate with two outs and a runner on third base in the ninth inning, his father, Yankees first-base coach Tony Pena Sr., playfully acted like he was motioning his outfielders toward the infield.

The younger Pena then made his father look bad by drilling a game-tying triple off the left-field wall.

"He probably didn't think I had it in me," said the Braves shortstop, who owns a .335 slugging percentage in 2,308 Minor League at-bats.

Before reporters told him, the younger Pena was unaware of the fact that his father had playfully questioned his power.

"We're going to go out for dinner, and I'm sure he'll give me some stuff about that," said Pena, who is hitting .353 (6-for-17) in Grapefruit League play.

Johnson gets some action: Before Thursday's game, Kelly Johnson indicated that he was hoping to see more action while making his adjustment to the second-base position. By the end of the second inning, the Yankees had certainly provided him with enough opportunities.

Johnson's second-inning action started with him making a wayward throw on a slow roller. One batter later, he turned a slow roller into an out. Two batters later, he avoided a hard-charging Kevin Reese and turned a pretty double play.

"He turned a beautiful double play," Cox said. "That's the first one he's had, and he really did a great job on it. I didn't think he could turn it, but he did."

Johnson, who is hitting .286 after 14 Grapefruit League at-bats, is prepping to be the starting second baseman without any previous experience at the position. He began his professional career as a shortstop and then was moved to the outfield in 2004.

Braves bits: John Smoltz had a noticeable bruise that came courtesy of the Carlos Guillen line drive he took off his left chest Wednesday. But the right-hander is still scheduled to pitch against the Cardinals on Monday. ... Chipper Jones has been experiencing some headaches over the past few weeks, and he's hoping they are caused simply by allergies. ... Chris Woodward, who has been nursing a strained right calf, was cleared to take batting practice Wednesday. He could begin playing early next week.

Coming up: Chuck James will make his second Grapefruit League during Friday afternoon's 1:05 ET game against the Pirates in Bradenton. Top prospect Matt Harrison and Chad Paronto are also expected to pitch for the Braves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    I bet it was fun for Pena Jr. to throw out his papa's runners.
    And hopefully with Chipper it is only allergies, because he really needs to play some more games this year.