Braves Mailbag @ AtlantaBraves.com

Does John Smoltz have enough left to turn in another dominant season like he did in 2006?
-- Will R., Monticello, Ga.

One thing we've learned since Smoltz came back from Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery is that it's unwise to put a timetable or limitations regarding his future. Many were wrong about Smoltz's move to the closer's role and many more have eaten their words over the past two seasons while he once again established himself as a legitimate ace.

Over the past month, I've even heard Smoltz say that even he was wrong when assessing his future. In October 2003, when Smoltz had the most recent of his four elbow surgeries, he didn't know if he'd even be able to pitch another season.

Since then, he's registered 44 saves, notched 30 wins and completed 543 1/3 innings. Reigning Cy Young Award winner Brandon Webb has completed a National League-high 464 innings over the past two years. Smoltz, who will turn 40 in May, falls just seven outs shy of that total posted by the Arizona right-hander, who will be 28 in May.

Smoltz's durability is a product of his intense determination combined with the improved offseason workouts he's practiced over the past four years. If he's able to overcome his stubbornness this year, he'll have the benefit of a reliable bullpen that will allow him to pace himself over the course of the six-month regular season.

Because his right elbow has been surgically-repaired four times, Smoltz finds himself lumped into the "injury risk" category. But truth be told, the only arm problems he's had in the two years since he became a starter again came at the end of the 2005 season, when he experienced shoulder fatigue.

Obviously, it's possible that Smoltz will experience another debilitating elbow injury. But this can be said about any pitcher of any age, at any level of baseball.

Injuries may have prevented Smoltz from nearing the 300-win club that has inducted Greg Maddux and will likely soon call Tom Glavine (currently at 290). But there's no reason to believe he can't pitch just as long or longer than his two close friends, who are among the handful of pitchers currently proving capable of pitching past their 40th birthday.

If I had to guess, I'd say Smoltz certainly still has enough to have at least one more season that includes the dominant stretches he's enjoyed the past two years. In saying that, I also wouldn't be shocked to see him prove to be an effective starter through at least the end of the 2009 season.

I have never seen Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz speak ill of each other. Do you have any insight on this? Do you think they will all go into the Hall of Fame together?
-- Brett N., San Francisco

It still continues to amaze me how much admiration and respect these three former teammates have for each other. I've never sensed that there was the slightest bit of animosity between the three of them.

This isn't supposed to happen in the world of professional sports, where competitive spirits are everywhere. Somewhere along the line, it seems it would be natural for jealousy to wreck the relationship of star players. Reports have indicated that this has recently happened in St. Louis with Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen.

But these three Cy Young Award winners are just different. Glavine is the ultimate politician. Maddux is the innocent class clown. And Smoltz is the ultimate sports junkie who never seems to be at a loss for words.

Of the three, I've best come to understand Smoltz, and I can tell you that he is human in the fact that he hasn't liked all of the many co-workers he's had over the years. But never have I once heard him say anything negative about Maddux or Glavine.

Smoltz pitched in the shadows of Maddux and Glavine throughout the 1990s. And he'll also have to follow behind them in his march to Cooperstown.

But that only comes from the fact that he'll still be pitching when his good friends are getting their initial taste of retirement.

Who do you see as the Braves' closer in 2008? Is Mike Gonzalez signed through that far, or would it come down to Joey Devine or Rafael Soriano?
-- Dan M., Cincinnati

Right now, I'd have to say it would be Gonzalez, who won't be eligible for free agency until after the 2009 season. The capability of securing the left-handed reliever's services for at least three seasons is one of the primary reasons it made since to acquire him from the Pirates in exchange for Adam LaRoche.

Statistically, Soriano has shown that he could serve as a closer, but unlike Gonzalez, Soriano has never experienced a season in which he converted all 24 of his save opportunities.

If the Braves enter the 2008 season contemplating whether to use Gonzalez or Soriano as their closer, then I'd say it will be a problem they'll be glad to have.

If Gregor Blanco is going to be a great outfielder for years to come, why not bring him to the show this year to get work with Andruw Jones?
-- Brian D., Maiden, N.C.

I'm not so sure that Blanco is going to be a great outfielder. He had a fantastic season last year, when he proved his capabilities as a leadoff hitter, but I haven't gotten the impression that the Braves regard him as a future superstar, or even Jones' replacement.

If Jones exits via free agency at the end of the 2007 season, the Braves will likely find his replacement via free agency or a trade. They'll likely be looking for somebody to replace some of the lost power. Blanco doesn't fit that description.

What are the plans for Joey Devine this year?
-- Eddie B., Perry, Ga.

While pitching the ninth inning of Saturday's game against the Astros, Devine hit two batters and registered two strikeouts. It's become obvious that he has the stuff necessary to become an effective big-league reliever. But it's also become obvious that he still hasn't gained the ability to locate with any sense of consistency.

Manager Bobby Cox says that Devine has great movement on all of his pitches. But like everybody else, Cox can't quite understand why the young right-hander has often struggled with his control.

Devine, who is just 23 years old, will likely begin this season at Triple-A Richmond and continue working toward what may still be a fruitful big-league career. This will be just his second full professional season.