Thread: Minors report: Bullpen deep in Triple-A

MLB ERA

Minors report: Bullpen deep in Triple-A

AtlantaBraves.com

Hot topic: When Guy Hansen arrives in Richmond to begin the upcoming season in Triple-A, he'll find a bullpen that will arguably be deeper than the one he had two years ago, when he was Kansas City's pitching coach.

Hansen, who returns to Richmond to serve as the pitching coach, will likely have the option of using Peter Moylan, Joey Devine or Blaine Boyer as his closer. Each of them are still competing for one of the final available spots in the Atlanta bullpen.

Other members of this year's Richmond bullpen could include Phil Stockman and Jose Ascanio, who also seemingly have the capability of being effective relievers at the Major League level.

The surplus of Major League-caliber arms in Richmond this year will give Braves general manager John Schuerholz an increased sense of confidence that wasn't present during those occasions last year, when he had to make adjustments to the Atlanta pitching staff.

On the move: Braves manager Bobby Cox has raved about the offensive and defensive capabilities possesses by top prospect Yunel Escobar. Cox has said the 24-year-old shortstop, who defected from Cuba in 2004, is very close to being a big leaguer. Escobar's bat provides both power and consistency. His quick feet and reliable glove allow him the versatility to play both middle-infield positions and third base. Many other organizations have expressed trade interest in Escobar, who appears to be ready to assume an everyday role at the big-league level.

Names in the game: Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro plans to work with the organization's Minor League pitchers from March 11-15. Along with providing mechanical advice, Niekro will talk to the hurlers about the experiences he had while developing into a 300-game winner.

They're No. 1: From 2000-2002, the club's first draft selections were Adam Wainwright, Macay McBride and Jeff Francoeur, who have all made a significant impact at the Major League level. Joey Devine, their first pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, has the stuff to be an effective big-league reliever. His hard sinking fastball and slider have tremendous movement. But he must learn how to consistently locate these pitches.

Class of '06: Kevin Gunderson, a fifth-round selection, didn't seem to fazed by the workload he received while leading Oregon State to last year's College World Series championship. In the 24 innings he completed for Class A Rome, he posted a 1.13 ERA and limited opponents to a .195 batting average. The 22-year-old left-hander seems capable of rapidly developing into a big-league reliever.

What they're saying: "Our Triple-A team's pitching staff is going to be unbelievable. That whole staff could probably pitch in the big leagues for someone." -- All-Star catcher Brian McCann
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    On the move: Braves manager Bobby Cox has raved about the offensive and defensive capabilities possesses by top prospect Yunel Escobar. Cox has said the 24-year-old shortstop, who defected from Cuba in 2004, is very close to being a big leaguer. Escobar's bat provides both power and consistency. His quick feet and reliable glove allow him the versatility to play both middle-infield positions and third base. Many other organizations have expressed trade interest in Escobar, who appears to be ready to assume an everyday role at the big-league level.
    I won't be surprised at all to see this kid on the regular roster sometime this season.

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't doubt it. Excobar has been doing pretty good in spring training. I can see him getting a call up during the season.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    When Guy Hansen arrives in Richmond to begin the upcoming season in Triple-A, he'll find a bullpen that will arguably be deeper than the one he had two years ago, when he was Kansas City's pitching coach.

I, too, want to see how Escobar does against major league hitting. Remember McCann did not have great numbers when he was in the minor leagues, but he tore shit up in his first full year with the bigs.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien View Post

I, too, want to see how Escobar does against major league hitting. Remember McCann did not have great numbers when he was in the minor leagues, but he tore shit up in his first full year with the bigs.
    Yup yup... thats one of the first things that came to my mind