Thread: Braves 5, GT 0

MLB ERA

Braves Braves 5, GT 0

AJC.com

Braves 5, Georgia Tech 0

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published on: 02/28/07

Kissimmee, Fla. (AP) — Kelly Johnson got off to a shaky start at second base for the Atlanta Braves.

Johnson, who came up to the Braves as an outfielder but is attempting to replace Marcus Giles at second, botched a defensive play in the Braves' 5-0 victory over Georgia Tech on Wednesday.

In the second inning, Johnson tried to backhand the throw by catcher Brian McCann but couldn't come up with it. The ball bounced into the outfield and McCann was charged with the error, though Johnson acknowledged it was his mistake.

"I kind of gave up on it," said Johnson, who came up to the Braves as an outfielder after playing shortstop in the minors. "By the time I figured out what was going on, it was too late to get to the base."

Johnson batted leadoff, starting the first with a walk and stealing second. He struck out in his other at-bat.

"Yeah, I was nervous," Johnson said. "I think I was the first one to run out on the field to stretch. I just couldn't sit still."

Ryan Langerhans homered and six pitchers combined on a two-hitter for the Braves, who traditionally open spring training against Georgia Tech or Georgia. Atlanta has never lost, improving to 20-0 against college competition.

At least the Yellow Jackets got a couple of hits this time. When the teams met two years ago, the Braves threw a no-hitter.

Leading off the third, Langerhans yanked a 2-0 pitch over the right-field wall against loser Jared Hyatt. The Braves added three runs in the fifth and another in the sixth.

Matt Harrison, one of Atlanta's top pitching prospects, gave up a single to Wally Crancer leading off the second but struck out three during his two-inning stint.

"It was a great experience to get out there and pitch in front of Bobby," the left-hander said, referring to Braves manager Bobby Cox. "I had some jitters in the first inning. After that, it was all right. I got more confident in the second inning."

Jose Ascanio and Kevin Barry each worked two innings for the Braves, with Barry getting credit for the win. Jonathan Johnson, Anthony Lerew and Joey Devine finished up with one inning apiece. The six pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts.

Brad Feltes had Georgia Tech's other hit, singling off Devine in the ninth. Notes: Former Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, expected to be one of the top picks in the NFL draft, threw out the ceremonial first pitch. ... The only blemish on Atlanta's record against college teams came in 2003, when the game against Georgia Tech was rained out after four innings with the score tied at 3.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

The new season has begun! I am very happy. Let's forget about 2006 and look forward to winning a world championship in 2007. Happy New Year! (sortof)
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

Not too bad, good to see Harrison's looking to impress Cox and the rest of the guys, namely Lerew, pitching well.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I hope that Lerew makes the big club this year. He pitched well last year.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

MLB ERA
    It can be a good thing when you beat a college team. That being said, has a college team ever beat a pro team before?

MLB ERA
    Didn't the Marlins lose to Miami one year?

Perhaps not.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181 View Post
    It can be a good thing when you beat a college team. That being said, has a college team ever beat a pro team before?
    Not sure but I'm sure it has happened in the past.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    New season has started. YEAH!