Thread: Lefty Harrison scoring points with Cox

MLB ERA

Lefty Harrison scoring points with Cox

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ravesrail.html

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — He's worried about making a good impression when he faces Georgia Tech on Wednesday, but left-hander Matt Harrison has already impressed one important observer.

"He's the real deal," Braves manager Bobby Cox said after watching him throw batting practice Sunday on a back field at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

"He was exceptionally good," said Cox, who announced before the workout the 21-year-old would start the annual college exhibition game that precedes the Grapefruit League schedule. "I'm looking forward to seeing him
    Wednesday."

The Braves' top pitching prospect has only 12 starts above Class A and isn't a likely candidate for the opening day roster. But Cox said he hasn't been entirely ruled out of consideration.

When asked what he liked about him, Cox said, "everything you'd want. He's 6-6 or so [6 feet 4], he's got that good downward plane, his fastball is 90-plus [mph], good change-up, and his curveball's in play, he's working on it."

Harrison was 8-4 with a 3.10 ERA in 13 starts at Class A Myrtle Beach. He struggled some after a summer promotion to AA Mississippi but improved to 3-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 12 starts.

Some Georgia Tech hitters are older than Harrison. But he's more concerned about guys on the Braves' side — veteran players, coaching staff, front office.

"I'm just going to try to show them what I've got," he said. "Hopefully I won't be too nervous in front of all these big guys. I've just got to pitch my game, not try to blow it by everybody."

He's scheduled to pitch two innings, then two apiece by Jose Ascanio and Kevin Barry and one inning each by Anthony Lerew, Jonathan Johnson and Joey Devine.

Cox said he'll announce pitching plans today for the first week of Grapefruit League games. The Dodgers plan to start Randy Wolf against the Braves Thursday.

BY THE NUMBERS

60 and 16 — Top pitching prospect Matt Harrison's strikeouts and walks in 81 1/3 innings at Class A Myrtle Beach.

ANOTHER ANDRUW WORKOUT PARTNER

Andruw Jones lives at Sugarloaf Country Club, maintains a second home in South Florida, and had Braves workout partners in both places over the winter.

Catcher Brian McCann worked out with him in Atlanta, and shortstop Edgar Renteria sweated through running, hitting and weightlifting sessions with him in South Florida. Renteria has homes in his native Colombia and Miami Beach.

Jones impressed Renteria with his workouts in Miami. Asked if the slimmer Jones was still strong enough to hit 40 homers, Renteria said, "50."
    What about Renteria, who also reported in good shape?

"Eight [homers]," the shortstop said, smiling. "I got strong to play the whole season, not hit home runs. Different kind of strong."

He's hit 10 or more in seven of the past eight seasons. He had 14 in his first season with Atlanta, when he hit .293 with 40 doubles, 70 RBIs and a .361 on-base percentage.

ESCOBAR KEEPS HITTING

Cox also raved Sunday about infield prospect Yunel Escobar, the Cuban who several teams have tried to pry from the Braves.

"He hit the living [heck] out of the ball," the manager said after watching the non-roster invitee. "He really stood out. Lot of energy. Quick as a cat."

Escobar, 24, won the Arizona Fall League batting title with a .407 average and 22 RBIs in 22 games. That helped erase concerns after his mediocre season at Mississippi, where he hit .264 with two homers and 45 RBIs in 121 games.

"He could play today," Cox said. "Great actions. He's working out at second, third and short, all of them. He's not a fast runner, but he's quick. ...

Everybody in the world wants him right now."

AYBAR STILL ABSENT

Infielder Willy Aybar is still in the Dominican Republic trying to secure his visa, but the Braves said he's expected to report to spring camp this week. It might be early in the week, or it might be late, but they expect him this week.

MLB ERA
    Harrison pitched pretty good today against GT. They said he might be with AAA.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

He should be ready soon. Looking forward to having him in the future.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

Harrison will most likely be Hampton's eventual replacement in the rotation.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic