Thread: Smoltz to start opener?

MLB ERA

Smoltz to start opener?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...226smoltz.html

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — That the Braves plan to start John Smoltz in the April 2 season opener at Philadelphia should come as no surprise.

Nor should the fact Smoltz doesn't want to make a big deal out of it. The former Cy Young Award winner is 0-3 with a 7.71 ERA in three opening-day starts, including eight innings of two-run ball in 1997 at Houston.

"What means the most to me is that I get in a better groove earlier than I have recently," said Smoltz, who went 2-5 with a 3.88 ERA in 10 April starts over the past two seasons; he was 28-11 with a 3.18 ERA in his other 58 starts. "I need to find a way to take it from the last start [of spring] to opening day and enjoy the start of the season, because sometimes too much is made of it."

Much was made of his opening loss in 2005. In his long-anticipated return to the rotation after 3 1/2 seasons as a closer, he gave up six earned runs in 1 2/3 innings of a 9-0 defeat at Florida.

He lost his first three starts that season — the Braves scored just two runs combined while he was in those games — then went 3-0 with a 1.77 ERA in his next seven starts in a 14-7 season.

Tim Hudson started last season's opener at Los Angeles and had a shaky outing in an 11-10 Braves win. Hudson is scheduled to start the second game April 4 at Philadelphia.

Manager Bobby Cox hasn't announced Smoltz as the opening-day starter, but said, "We're looking that way right now. [The rotation order] doesn't matter, really. They're all going to get the same number of starts."
    Barring disruption in spring training, the projected order has Smoltz, Hudson and Chuck James starting the opening series at Philadelphia.

Mike Hampton could start the home opener April 6 vs. the New York Mets in what would be his first start in 18 months since reconstructive elbow surgery.

Pitching plans for first week
    Closer Bob Wickman wasn't on the list of relievers for the first four Grapefruit League games, but the Braves said he's healthy and Cox said several times since camp opened that Wickman likes to go slowly at the start of camp.

Top pitching prospect Matt Harrison is scheduled to start Wednesday's exhibition vs. Georgia Tech, before Grapefruit League play begins Thursday with Kyle Davies set to start vs. the Dodgers' Randy Wolf at Wide World of Sports.

Smoltz is set to start Friday vs. Pittsburgh on ESPN, Hudson on Saturday vs. Houston, Chuck James Sunday vs. Los Angeles, and Lance Cormier Monday vs. Washington. Cormier also has a planned relief appearance Friday.

Left-handed setup man Mike Gonzalez is scheduled to make his Braves debut with one inning Friday. The other half of the new setup duo, Rafael Soriano, is down to make his first appearance Sunday.

Hampton is tentatively scheduled to debut Tuesday (March 6) vs. Washington. Davies is set to start that game, but Hampton could follow and work two innings.

Braves starters are scheduled to pitch two innings in their spring debuts.
    Davies and Cormier are the leading fifth-starter candidates, which may or may not be Davies' job to lose. One of them could be bound for Class AAA Richmond to open the season, unless Hampton has a setback in his recovery.

Boyer injures finger at home
    Blaine Boyer was momentarily terrified when blood spurted from the tip of the middle finger on his pitching hand Saturday night, but the reliever was relieved to escape serious injury and could be back on the mound in a few days.

He missed all but the first week of the 2005 season due to shoulder surgery.

Boyer said he caught his middle finger in a window while trying to enter his rental property after his wife accidentally locked them out.

He had only a bruise and damaged nail and was able to throw lightly Monday.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's not shocking at all, but to me as a non-Braves fan, the fact that he has only seen three Opening Day starts in total is. Obviously I know the competition he had for years, but for a guy who has had the career (and years in the game) that Smoltz has had, you would be hard-pressed to find a comparable pitcher with that few of Opening Day starts under his belt of accomplishments. It would be really great to see Smoltzie have a huge outing on Opening Day while he still has the potential to dominate a game.

MLB ERA
    No surprise, he's the team's best starter.

MLB ERA
    I kinda figured Smoltz would pitch on opening day. I would like to see him get 20+ wins this season which might just be his last.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

I agree. I want him to go out in style. He is a future HOF and is one more reason the braves should try to win him a ws b4 he is through.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

He won with us in 95.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I know. I mean it would be a nice end to his career if he retires after this season.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

MLB ERA
    I sure hope JS is looking at the possibility that Smoltz will retire.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."