Thread: The Upcoming Season

Rookie ERA

Braves The Upcoming Season

What are your feelings about the 2007 Braves? Will they begin a new streak for division titles, or will they be left fighting for the wild card?

I really like the talent we have assembled for the upcoming season. Smoltz, if healthy, will be the staple of our rotation. He continues to prove he is one of the better pitches in the league today. You could argue that had he had some bullpen help last season that he could have challenged for the Cy Young. Hudson must step up his game in 2007. Last year was a dissapointment for him. The rest of the rotation is balanced enough to make us a threat.

The bullpen is in much better shape now than it was at the beginning of last season. Wickman converted 18 out of 19 save opportunities last season for the Braves and we acquired a solid reliever from Pittsburgh in the LaRoche deal.

The offense will again be the question. Production from the leadoff spot will be crucial. Chipper Jones must stay healthy in order for this lineup to be an everyday threat. Andruw Jones could have a monster year in what is a contract season for him. I hate to say it, but this will likely be the final season he wears a Braves' uniform.

How do you guys think we'll fare in 2007?

Go Braves!

weston

MLB ERA
    I believe we have a definite shot for the division. Everything looks perfect on paper but we will see during spring training and during the season.

Every year I hope Chipper stay healthy throughout the year but it hasn't happened yet.

This could be AJ's last season with the Braves if he does produce well enough to get a big contract. This might be a just wishful dreaming but I would like to see the budget incase to try to keep AJ. I don't even know if it's possible to replace him.

If the Braves can play like they know they can and prove that they are the best team in the NL East than I do believe they even have a shot at the WS.

We can only hope that each player will play to his ability and avoid injuries which was one of the downfalls last season.

Spring Training is just around the corner. Each and every March, baseball begins, and new slate, a chance for the new guys to prove to the managers, GM's that they belong. April begins a brand new season, the hunt for October.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Too many holes for me to say that they will win the division, but I've liked the moves they've made and I feel the team is much improved. I am still a little worried about the rest of our starting rotation after Smoltz, and where the runs will be coming from.

I can't help but think that we will go all the way. I know, it sounds crazy. But just think, not only will Andruw likely have another monster season, but I am looking at Chipper playing a possible 150 games, he is LONG overdue. Also, look for our pen to be AWESOME! how could it not be? I believe that we have the BEST pen in the NL. Now look at the rotation, Smoltz will be as good as always, Huddy went back to his original workouts and says he feels in the best shape that he has since he won his last Cy Young award. I think Hampton will come back strong, some of those on mlb.com predict him to win the Cy Young award, but not me. Also, don't expect any less from Chuck James, this guy is for real! And last but not least, I think that we will be glad that we didn't trade Davies during the offseason. They say that pitching wins championships and we have it coming out of our ears. And look for fate to fall to the Braves this year, only winning 1 world series in a 14 year division championship stread and the the streak coming to a dramatic end with a the franchises first losing season since 1990 almost assures a great comeback that we should remember for years to come. I think that this young, energetic team has what it takes to bring it home to Atlanta for many, many years to come.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

Don't forget about Soriano's acquisition as well, and the departure of HoRam.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesjb View Post
    I can't help but think that we will go all the way. I know, it sounds crazy. But just think, not only will Andruw likely have another monster season, but I am looking at Chipper playing a possible 150 games, he is LONG overdue. Also, look for our pen to be AWESOME! how could it not be? I believe that we have the BEST pen in the NL. Now look at the rotation, Smoltz will be as good as always, Huddy went back to his original workouts and says he feels in the best shape that he has since he won his last Cy Young award. I think Hampton will come back strong, some of those on mlb.com predict him to win the Cy Young award, but not me. Also, don't expect any less from Chuck James, this guy is for real! And last but not least, I think that we will be glad that we didn't trade Davies during the offseason. They say that pitching wins championships and we have it coming out of our ears. And look for fate to fall to the Braves this year, only winning 1 world series in a 14 year division championship stread and the the streak coming to a dramatic end with a the franchises first losing season since 1990 almost assures a great comeback that we should remember for years to come. I think that this young, energetic team has what it takes to bring it home to Atlanta for many, many years to come.
    Bit optimistic, aren't we?

I can't see the Braves having two bad years in a row. I think they will definitely be improved this year. However, I would probably still rank them behind the Phillies and the Mets in East this year. But only time will tell.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Finishing third in the East would equal a bad year, imho.

Rookie ERA
    You still gotta remember the x-factor for this ballclup: the manager. I feel Bobby Cox did a good job last year with the hand he was dealt. He still proves to be one of the top-notch managers in the game and usually gets more out of his teams than anyone else in the league.

Anything less than a playoff birth will be a dissapointing season.

weston

I think I can deal with not making the playoffs, I just don't think I can cope with another month like June of last year, when absolutely nothing could go right for this team. At least last year I had the World Cup to take my mind off of the disaster that the June Braves were.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I don't think that I can deal with another season without the playoffs. I as a braves fan have been spoiled by getting to see the braves in the playoffs EVERY year since I became a fan. I am not ready to give all of that up. I need the playoff rush! And this year I think that I'll get it.

MLB ERA
    Man, am I the only one who is just getting over the loss from two years ago? Shit, that near 20 inning loss totally killed me. I barely even watched much of last year because of it. It was a killer. But now I am over it, and ready to start the new year right.

MLB ERA
    I remember that loss to the Astros. I was visiting family at the time. I still can't get over it but as a true Braves fan, I must go on. No matter what the season brings I will be watching it on TV or on MLB TV Premium.

They better not have another June like last season. That shouldn't of happened and looks like this years bullpen, that it won't happen. Smoltz should be able to win more games now.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

I think that the Braves pitching staff will have multiple 20 game winners in it. I'ts hard to see now i know, but if we just believe, we can look forward to the upcoming season and make last year seem a little more forgetable.