Braves Mailbag @ AtlantaBraves.com

Why don't voters put Dale Murphy in the Hall of Fame?
-- Justin J., Salt Lake City, Utah

From 1982-87, he arguably was the best player in the game. During that span, he captured consecutive National League Most Valuable Player Awards (1982 and 1983), five Gold Gloves and four Silver Slugger Awards.

As recently as 1991, Bill James, a noted baseball historian and statistician, wrote, "Murphy will probably go into the Hall of Fame without much of a fight." That was the overwhelming thought at the time. But that was before the former Braves outfielder endured the final stages of the downward spiral that tainted his career.

At the age of 32, Murphy's body seemingly began to break down. From 1988-93, the final six seasons of his career, he hit just .233 and never hit more than 24 homers.

With this demise, Murphy headed into retirement owning a .265 career batting average and still two homers shy of the 400 mark.

Still, when it comes time to evaluate his entire playing career, it's impossible to overlook the demise he experienced in his final six years. And because of this, Murphy will join Roger Maris as the only consecutive MVP winners who will never be enshrined in Cooperstown.

Is Ryan Langerhans capable of replacing Andruw Jones in center field in the future? Langerhans' defense, while not near as good as Jones, is quite good. And Langerhans has shown some power at the plate at times and speed on the bases.
-- Rick M., Gainesville, Ga.

Langerhans certainly is one of the game's top defenders, and because of this, he likely will enjoy a long career. But until he proves himself more from an offensive perspective, there isn't reason to project him as the center fielder of the future.

During his rookie season in 2005, Langerhans hit .267 with eight home runs. In 315 at-bats (11 fewer than in 2005) last year, he hit .241 with seven homers. An early season wrist injury hampered him and seemingly led to him losing some confidence at the plate.

If given a chance to play on an everyday basis, Langerhans likely is capable of hitting .280 and hitting 15 homers. Because of the defense he provides, those numbers might still be enough for him to stay in the lineup.

But, for now, I think he's best used in a platoon role and as a valuable asset off the bench.

You said in the mailbag from Jan. 22 that Langerhans will probably platoon with Craig Wilson. Why not Matt Diaz? Last season Diaz was fantastic. Why is he not being listed as an outfielder this season? He was one of my favorites last year, so I'd hate to see that he won't play.
-- Tyler D., Savannah, Ga.

I'm simply projecting that manager Bobby Cox will choose to use Langerhans and Wilson in the platoon role. Defense always has been important to the veteran skipper, and because of this, Diaz may be the odd man out.

While hitting .327 in 297 at-bats last year, Diaz certainly proved to be a valuable offensive asset. But defensively, he often looked uncomfortable and occasionally took bad routes when tracking fly balls.

It's not as if the right-handed-hitting Wilson is ever going to be labeled a top-notch defensive outfielder. But he certainly is sound and definitely provides more power potential than Diaz.

While finding success against both left-handed and right-handed pitchers last year, Diaz increased his value. The versatility makes him a more viable threat off the bench in late innings.

If Cox chooses to use Langerhans and Wilson in a platoon role, Langerhans would get a majority of the playing time. That's just the benefit of being a left-handed hitter in a league in which most of the pitchers are righties.

But in order for this platoon to work, Langerhans must show more from an offensive perspective. He hit just .232 in his 276 at-bats against right-handed pitchers last year.

How much would it cost the Braves to break ties with Mike Hampton? I like Hampton, but it seems as though he has spent more time on the bench with injuries than on the mound.
-- Keith C., Wake Village, Texas

Since joining the Braves before the start of the 2003 season, Hampton has made just 72 starts and earned slightly more than $57 million. Had he been playing under the labor rules provided in the NFL, he already may have found himself looking for another employer.

But in baseball all contracts are guaranteed. Thus, even if the Braves were to release Hampton, they still would owe him $29.5 million over the course of the next two years.

I am going to be in Orlando the last week of February, but before the Spring Training games start. Are the Braves' practice sessions open to the public? If yes, is it possible for my 2-year-old to get an autograph? What suggestions do you have for me to get a preseason look at the Braves?
-- Joe B., Springfield, Mo.

Braves pitchers and catchers will hold their first workout on Feb. 16, and the first full-squad workout will be held on Feb. 21. Each of these workouts will be held at The Ballpark at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex and are open to the public.

To get into the stadium, you must purchase a ticket that provides you admission to the Wide World of Sports complex. Adult tickets are $11.50, and children (ages 3-9) are admitted for $8.50.

Those hoping to get autographs should position themselves near the Braves dugout on the first-base side. Players often take time to provide autographs for those in attendance.

Workouts begin at 10 a.m. ET and usually end around 12:30 p.m. When the players undergo physicals on Feb. 24 and 25, the workouts likely will begin at 1 p.m.