Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    The Orioles may use Chris Ray to acquire Adam LaRoche from the Braves, says FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    Rosenthal believes the Orioles would have to include another player, perhaps Hayden Penn, but we think Ray alone should get a deal done. The Braves were pretty close to trading LaRoche for Mike Gonzalez, and Ray is a significantly more valuable property in that he's five years, rather than three years, away from free agency and is the better bet to stay healthy.

Marcus Giles will get a one-year contract and a 2008 option from the Padres.
    Giles, whose physical was scheduled for this morning, will get a base salary around $3.25 million this season with incentives that could take his contract to $4.25 million. The club option for 2008 is at $4 million.

2006 supplemental first-round pick Steven Evarts was arrested Monday on charges of criminal mischief after damaging a vehicle.
    Evarts and two other men were seen causing $3,700 in damage to a Chevrolet Blazer on Dec. 9, said Laura McElory, a spokeswoman for the Tampa Police Department. It's believed Evarts and the son of the owner of the vehicle were in a dispute regarding their friends competing for the same spot on another high school baseball team. Evarts, 19, was 2-2 with a 2.93 ERA for the Rookie GCL Braves after signing last season. He's probably going to play at low Single-A Rome next year.
    Source: RotoWorld.com
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I personally like that trade offer ray for LaRoche. If the O's throw in another player that is even better for the Braves.

MLB ERA
    Braves signed infielder Chris Woodward, who had been with the Mets, to a one-year contract.
    The Braves were without a legitimate backup shortstop after moving Wilson Betemit last season. Woodward isn't as good of an option as he would have been a few years ago, but he is a better choice than either Pete Orr or Willy Aybar to play behind Edgar Renteria. He'd be a very weak choice as a regular second baseman. The addition means that Orr might not have a bench spot next season.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Chris Woodward is guaranteed $850,000 under the terms of his deal with the Mets.
    He can earn an additional $525,000 in performance bonuses and would get the full amount with 500 plate appearances. However, GM John Schuerholz made it clear that Woodward is not being brought in as a candidate to start at second base.

Braves GM John Schuerholz indicated that Kelly Johnson and Martin Prado are the top candidates to start at second base for the Braves.
    Chris Woodward and Pete Orr will be competing for bench spots. "I still think Kelly Johnson and Prado will battle for second base, and [Willy] Aybar's in the mix," Schuerholz said. "But Chris has really established himself as a capable guy in that [utility] role." A healthy Johnson would make as much sense in the leadoff spot as anyone on the roster, though he'll have to prove himself on defense to earn a shot.

The Pirates' pursuit Adam LaRoche appears to be picking up steam again, sources close to the trade talks told the Beaver County Times on Wednesday.
    The Braves are no longer asking for Paul Maholm, but they would want something else along with Mike Gonzalez, perhaps Jose Castillo or Chris Duffy. The Yankees don't appear to be involved in the recent talks. Though the Bombers would love to have Gonzalez, they don't want to give up both Melky Cabrera and Scott Proctor to either Pittsburgh or Atlanta. The Orioles are also interested in LaRoche, and the Red Sox would like Gonzalez, though they don't have a fit with the Pirates.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Ah, negotiations, Aren't they sooo much fun?

MLB ERA
    Chipper Jones is being sued in Philadelphia after allegedly throwing a man to the ground three months ago.
    Stephen M. Cohen contends that Jones inflicted an "illegal, outrageous and violent assault" on him at the Hyatt Regency hotel at Penn's Landing at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 3. He seeks more than $50,000 in damages, but it's not looking good for his case. Hotel workers said that Cohen was taunting Chipper and a police report makes no mention of a struggle or any injuries.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    People really need to respect these athletes privates lives and quit trying to cause trouble and bothering them so they retaliate or whatever. Many people are looking for easy $$$ and sue others. That is one of my biggest pet peeves in live and our society. Get a job and quit looking for easy outs people!!!! Chipper should counter sue this guy. He has the $$$ and should ask for more and I bet the guy drops the suit and quick!!!!

MLB ERA
    My thoughts exactly. I can't stand these type of people. Always looking for the easy way out instead of actually working for it.

MLB ERA
    Free agent Chris Reitsma has offers on the table from six teams.
    The Marlins aren't one of them, though they were one of the first team to express interest after he was non-tendered by the Braves. "The situation is not closed yet, but we're down the road with at least two or three teams," agent Mike Paolercio said. "We've had several different kinds of offers. We're considering two or three one-year deals and two or three multi-year situations. Each one of them offers different advantages and disadvantages."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    And the 6 teams are? Drum roll please. Inquiring minds want to know?

MLB ERA
    I don't know but I am curious also. Who would actually want him?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    isn't he a lefty, and if so, i have teo words for you Gil Heredia. Lefties are always in demand, doesn't matter what kind of numbers they produce. Or it just seems that way.

MLB ERA
    No Reitsma is a RHP.

MLB ERA
    The Pirates haven't given up on acquiring Adam LaRoche from the Braves, though they're unwilling to give up Chris Duffy along with Mike Gonzalez.
    If they could get Kyle Davies thrown in, it'd be worth it. Duffy to Nate McLouth would be a downgrade on defense, but McLouth would likely be more effective out of the leadoff spot. The Yankees no longer seem to be involved in the LaRoche talks.

Y'know, Reitsma was a mean SU man to Smoltz a while ago. I know it's hard to remember that far back, but he was pretty damn good.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast