Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    Last I heard on Hudson was there were talks with the Orioles but that was almost 2 weeks ago. Giles is even longer.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

ah... thanks! Who was Atlanta wanting in return? Is Baltimore going to be another trading hot bed for Atlanta now that there is an ex-coach in their organization. They have been busy making trades with the Brewers since Yost has became manager. hhhmmmmm... sounds fishy to me!!! hahaha-j/k

MLB ERA
    Let's do a little vBulletin 101

At the bottom of your double post, click the, "Edit" button.

Second, click the "Delete" button.

Last, put in the reason for the delete, than click, "Delete this Message."
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

thanks!

MLB ERA
    According to Newsday, Tom Glavine is no longer expected to tell the Mets where he wants to pitch next year prior to his previous Sunday deadline.
    If he's extending the deadline to next week, it's another sign that he really would prefer to pitch in Atlanta. He knows exactly what the Mets have to offer, and all indications are that they want him more than the Braves do. Also, they have the better chance of going to the World Series. It's a no-brainer in baseball terms.
    Just been released.

MLB ERA
    For the ones that don't have an acount on ajc.com.

Decision time looms for Glavine
    Braves interested, but Mets may have offer pending

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 11/30/06

The Braves told Tom Glavine they'd like to bring him back to bolster their rotation, but in the next few days they need to show they're serious about the left-hander.

Glavine's agent said Thursday he hadn't spoken to Braves officials since Tuesday and had not begun contract discussions.

The New York Mets are believed to be ready with a two-year offer worth at least $22 million to retain Glavine, 40, who pitched four seasons for them since leaving Atlanta. The Mets would also give him a no-trade clause; Braves general manager John Schuerholz doesn't do no-trade clauses.

Glavine is 10 wins shy of being the 23rd pitcher to reach 300. He pitched 16 seasons for the Braves through 2002, winning two Cy Young Awards and recording five seasons with 20 or more wins.

After struggling for 2-1/2 seasons with the Mets, he revamped his approach and went 20-11 with a 3.26 ERA in his past 42 regular-season starts.

The Mets told Glavine they'd wait while he explored returning to the Braves. He still lives in Alpharetta and would like to be home during the season instead of flying his family to New York on weekends.

Glavine told the Mets he'd have an answer before the winter meetings begin Monday. The Mets have waited all week to hear from Glavine as he waited to hear from the Braves, who might be delaying for two reasons: They don't want to give up draft picks, and they want to make a trade to free up payroll.

Teams must offer arbitration to free agents by midnight Friday to be assured of compensatory draft picks if another team signs them.

The Braves, who treasure their draft picks, would give up a second-rounder if they signed Glavine, a Type A free agent, before the Mets made an arbitration decision.

The Mets might not risk an arbitration-set salary near $15 million. But there have been "gentlemen's agreements" in the past in which teams offered arbitration with an understanding it would be rejected.

MLB ERA
    According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are trying to trade Tim Hudson, but are asking for too high of a price right now.
    That Hudson could demand a second trade after next year scares some teams. However, he'd probably need to bounce back next season in order to pull that off. He's due just $6 million next year in his heavily backloaded deal, leaving him with salaries of $13 million each of the following two seasons. Even in this market, he'd have to pitch better than he did in 2006 in order to receive that kind of money. If the Braves can't trade Hudson, it's less likely that they'll make an offer to Tom Glavine.
    Source: FOXSports.com

MLB ERA
    The Mariners have requested John Thomson's medical files and are considering making a bid for the free agent.
    Thomson could be one of the real bargains of the winter if he can get healthy after missing so much of the last two years. He might get the same kind of one-year, $4 million contract that Kip Wells did.
    Source: Mariners.mlb.com

Rookie ERA
    So the Marlins might get Thomson huh? That is something I wouldn't expect.

MLB ERA
    That would be the Mariners, Seattle Mariners.

Rookie ERA
    Opps my bad I guess I should read. Even though the names look the same.

MLB ERA
    Braves declined to offer arbitration to RHP John Thomson, OF Brian Jordan, C Todd Pratt and 1B Daryle Ward.
    The Braves may yet keep Ward, but it would have been pointless to offer him arbitration. Thomson won't be back. He may join the Mariners.
    Source: RotoWorld

MLB ERA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Larry O'Brien still believes a Marcus Giles-for-Scott Linebrink trade is a possibility.
    The Giles-to-San Diego rumors have definitely quieted over the last few weeks. The Padres still need a second baseman, but they seemed more interested in going the free agent route with Craig Counsell and later Tony Graffanino. Ronnie Belliard, Mark Loretta and Graffanino are still out there, and Belliard and Loretta could be had cheaper than expected, making it more difficult to justify surrendering Linebrink for Giles.
    Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Doubt it happens now, with the likes of Loretta and Belliard still on the market.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    The Pirates have asked the Braves about Adam LaRoche, but it's unlikely that they'd part with Mike Gonzalez for the first baseman.
    If LaRoche could be counted on to continue to produce at his 2006 level, it'd be worth moving Gonzalez for him. However, he's unlikely to manage another 915 OPS next season. The Pirates might be more open to dealing Paul Maholm. The Angels are another team that's expected to inquire about LaRoche.
    Source: FOXSports

Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast