Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

iluvfrenchyandbrian iluvfrenchy&bri's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    General: I thought you said the season was OVER for you.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n.../james3ai9.jpg

I still BELIEVE!
    We can DO IT!
    GO BRAVES!

The Braves are expected to shop Marcus Giles this offseason.
    He's due for a significant raise in arbitration and is coming off an off-year in which he struggled in his new role as the team's leadoff hitter. Martin Prado or Willy Aybar could take over second if Atlanta deals Giles.

Braves first base prospect Kala Ka'aihue will play winter ball in Hawaii this offseason.
    The Hawaiian native hit an organizational-leading 28 homers between Low-A and High-A this season before suffering a broken wrist to end his campaign. Ka'aihue is still recovering from that injury, but is expected to be available to play before the season ends in November.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Marcus Giles is still a fine 2B, but the Braves seem to be interested in going another direction. Either of the players you mentioned will do just fine for them as his replacement, and at a fraction of his salary.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Did Smoltz just win himself a Cy Young today. He tied the other NL pitchers today with 16, and he knocked the Astros out of the playoffs..

Smoltz for Cy Young!!!

Word.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

iluvfrenchyandbrian iluvfrenchy&bri's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Same here.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n.../james3ai9.jpg

I still BELIEVE!
    We can DO IT!
    GO BRAVES!

MLB ERA
    Braves claimed outfielder T.J. Bohn off waivers from the Mariners.
    Bohn, who turns 27 in January, hit .283/.345/.413 with 15 steals for Triple-A Tacoma last season. He also made his major league debut with the Mariners, going 2-for-14. That he can play center field gives him a chance of having a career as a bench player. However, he's a fifth outfielder at best.

Braves purchased the contracts of RHP Jonathan Johnson and outfielder Gregor Blanco.
    Johnson's addition is baffling. The 32-year-old came out of retirement to post a 3.48 ERA in three starts and 20 relief appearances for Triple-A Richmond last season, but he wasn't any good in the first place and it's doubtful that he'll ever contribute. Blanco's addition is less surprising, but he's another long shot to ever help the Braves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Braves GM John Schuerholz is unlikely to grant the no-trade clause that Tom Glavine will likely want if he elects to return to Atlanta.
    "That's our general philosophy," Schuerholz said. "And we have had Hall of Fame players. Let me repeat: We have had Hall of Fame-caliber players on this team, on this roster, over the 15 years that I've been here. And we've never given out any no-trade clauses." The Mets would likely have no problem granting the 40-year-old no-trade protection. Glavine could decide by the end of next week whether he wants to stay in New York or head home to Atlanta.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Orioles and Danys Baez have reportedly agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth $5 million-$6 million per season.
    It's not the $7 million per year Baez was asking for, but it's good enough to get him to pass up chances to close elsewhere. The 29-year-old Baez looks like a better addition to the Baltimore pen than Jamie Walker. Although he's coming off a poor year, he's proven that he can handle AL East competition and he's been durable. In this market, it's a reasonable contract.

He didn't do so well in my opinion when he came over with Aybar from the Dodgers.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

A lot of money for inconsistency

MLB ERA
    Martin Prado had two hits and two RBI in Sunday's Venezuelan League action.
    Both hits were singles. Prado doesn't have an extra-base hit in 57 at-bats to date, leaving him with a .246/.353/.246 line. Prado could compete for a starting job in Atlanta next spring if Marcus Giles is traded, but there's little reason to think he'd be an asset as a major league regular.

MLB ERA
    Tom Glavine's agent said Thursday he hadn't spoken to Braves officials since Tuesday and still had not begun contract discussions.
    Glavine has told the Mets he'd have an answer for them before the winter meetings begin Monday. He could get a guaranteed two-year deal and a no-trade clause from the Mets, whereas the Braves might not do better than $7 million for one year. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution believes it's possible the Braves are looking to make a trade to free up salary before they make an offer to Glavine. However, if that's the case, they're going to have to get it done soon. Tim Hudson and Marcus Giles are the Braves most commonly mentioned in rumors.
    Lastest on Glavine.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

what are the rumors you are hearing for Hudson and Giles

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

ooooppppss... iiii hhhaaavvvveeee aaaa ssttuudddeeerrrriiiinnnngggg ppprrrooobbbbllleeemmm... i have a studderring problem, i accidentally hit enter twice there on my last post...

MLB ERA
    You can delete your post you know.

Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast