Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

Kelly Johnson made the Braves playoff roster.
    Manager Bobby Cox decided to go with an extra outfielder instead of three catchers. "I was very stressed about it," said Johnson. "I didn't know what was going on. I think defense was definitely keeping my playing time down, but I've only had about 200 games in the outfield."
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Dan Kolb was left off the Braves postseason roster.
    Kolb didn't participate in the team's workout yesterday, an indication he's finished with the Braves even if they advance in the postseason. Rookie Joey Devine was selected over him

THERE IS A GOD!

Brian McCann hit a three-run homer off Roger Clemens tonight in his first postseason at-bat.
    We'll see if this earns him additional playing time. Johnny Estrada was behind the plate for Game 1 against the Astros.

John Smoltz outdueled Roger Clemens as the Braves won Game 2 against the Astros 7-1 to even the NLCS.
    Shaking off his sore shoulder, Smoltz worked seven innings and allowed the one run, which came in the first inning. Chris Reitsma and Kyle Farnsworth finished up. When the series resumes in Houston on Saturday, the Braves will send Jorge Sosa to the mound against Roy Oswalt.

Jorge Sosa yielded three runs over six innings tonight against the Astros.
    Sosa was in trouble right from the start, giving up two runs in the first. After that, even though he kept allowing baserunners, he did an excellent job of keeping the Braves in the game. Houston broke it open as soon as he was removed, scoring four runs off four relievers in the seventh.

Tim Hudson will start Game 4 of the NLDS on three days' rest, manager Bobby Cox announced.
    Hudson allowed five runs in 6 2/3 innings Wednesday in a Game 1 loss. He's spent the last month looking like a pretty mediocre pitcher, and it hardly seems as though working on short rest will help him break out of his slum

Phoenix's Josh Burrus went 3-for-5 with a triple, a double and two RBI in today's AFL action.
    He's 10-for-29 with five extra-base hits so far. During the regular season, Burrus, the 29th pick in the 2001 draft, hit .263/.338/.427 in 490 at-bats, 299 of them coming at Single-A Myrtle Beach. He's only 22, so he's still regarded as a prospect. His performance at Double-A next year will go a long way toward determining whether he can be a regular outfielder.

Pete Orr went 4-for-5 and scored twice yesterday for Zulia of the VWL.
    Orr is off to a 6-for-15 start. The 26-year-old is expected to remain one of Atlanta's reserve infielders next season.

Wilson Betemit homered, singled and walked yesterday for Escogido of the Domincian Winter League.
    Betemit is batting .314/.397/.569 in 51 at-bats. He's tied for the league lead with three homers.

Brayan Pena went 3-for-4 with a homer, a double and a walk yesterday for Cibao of the DWL.
    If Johnny Estrada is traded, the Braves could go with Pena as Brian McCann's backup next season, although they may prefer someone more experienced. Pena is only turning 24 in January, so even if it doesn't happen with the Braves, he has plenty of time to establish himself as a long-term reserve

Minor league free agent Jorge Vasquez has a 0.75 ERA in the DWL after pitching two scoreless innings yesterday.
    Vasquez has given up just four hits and struck out 17 in 12 innings.

Wilson Betemit went 4-for-4 with a homer and four RBI for Escogido of the Dominican Winter League yesterday.
    Betemit is building a case to take over as Atlanta's starting shortstop next season. He's batting .368/.438/.702 in 57 at-bats and leads the DWL with five homers

This thread's back and ready for ST.

Blaine Boyer is scheduled to throw off the mound for the first time on Feb. 26 and could possibly begin working in games on March 11.
    Boyer hasn't bounced back as well as hoped from the shoulder problems he experienced at the end of last season, but he is doing better lately. "This is really the best I've felt in the past six months or seven months," Boyer said. "I feel great." A healthy Boyer could be a candidate for saves in Atlanta's bullpen

MLB ERA

Braves

Le Bravos are going to make it 14 straight (i think) due to a big season by thier hitters. Pitching will take a sudden downturn this year though

16 straight bro.

Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast