Thread: Braves Winter Meetings Checklist

MLB ERA

Braves Braves Winter Meetings Checklist

ATLANTA -- With the Winter Meetings being held at Disney World this year, the Braves could be considered the home team. Their intent will be to bolster a roster that they will carry back to their headquarters at Disney in February, when they return for the start of Spring Training.

Braves general manager John Schuerholz is looking to strengthen his pitching staff with the acquisition of at least one reliable middle reliever. He too will also be in search of potential upgrades at both second base and left field. Schuerholz's actions will primarily take place in the trade market, in which he could find himself dealing both Marcus Giles and Horacio Ramirez.

Be sure to check back at MLB.com and atlantabraves.com regularly to find out the latest about the Braves as we bring you the news as it happens from Disney.

2006 finish: 79-83, third place, National League East

Deals so far: Exercised the option in RHP John Smoltz's contract and re-signed closer Bob Wickman. Both deals were completed in September.

Players eligible for arbitration: 1B Adam LaRoche; 2B Giles; LHP Ramirez; RHPs Chris Reitsma, Oscar Villarreal

Free agents: 1B Daryle Ward; C Todd Pratt; OF Brian Jordan; RHP John Thomson

Needs: Schuerholz built his unprecedented string of 14 consecutive division titles around a strong pitching staff and entered this offseason intent on strengthening a bullpen that was ineffective this past season. He'd like to get a reliable setup man and possibly a veteran left-handed reliever. There is also a need to target a leadoff hitter to fill the void that was created last December when Rafael Furcal signed with the Dodgers.

Dealing strengths: With the spending frenzy that has taken place on the free-agent market, both Giles and Ramirez may be even more attractive to other teams. The depth in the starting rotation certainly makes Ramirez expendable, and with youngsters like Willy Aybar and Yunel Escobar, the Braves can confidently fill Giles' spot at second base.
    I'm looking to see what happens with Giles. I'm glad we got Smoltz and Wickman back.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    Of course you glad to see Wickman and Smoltz back. They are the best pitchers. I kinda hope they don't get rid of Giles, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

MLB ERA
    The reason why they might get rid of Giles is because we have some players capable of playing 2nd. Aybar is one that might be able to handle it but hasn't been able to prove it since getting injuried on his Braves debut.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    I know that, and plus they can't pay for him either. So I guess he will be leaving, but I wonder which team he might go to?

MLB ERA
    I've heard of the Padres since he is from San Diego.

Rookie ERA
    Oh so he is going to go over there with his brother, and family. That would be a good move for him.