Thread: Mailbag - 10/10

MLB ERA

Mailbag - 10/10

With the Braves needing a leadoff hitter who can play left field, what are the odds they could acquire Carl Crawford?
    It certainly seems the Braves' biggest offseason need is to locate a legitimate leadoff hitter, and Crawford seems to be the most appealing option. If the Devil Rays are truly going to trade this potential superstar, they'll be looking to get young pitching in return, and the Braves certainly could pique their interest with either Kyle Davies or Chuck James.

But even if the Braves were to offer either Davies or James, the Devil Rays would want even more. At 25 years old, Crawford has the potential to be the most exciting player in Tampa Bay's short history. He's a good defender who possesses speed and power.

So, obviously, the Braves will at least inquire about Crawford. But if they weren't able to work out a sensible deal, then they could also look to find another leadoff hitter who doesn't necessarily have to play left field.

The overwhelming belief is that Marcus Giles won't be back in Atlanta next year. Thus the Braves could also seek a second baseman who could serve as a leadoff hitter.

Some of you have said they should look to sign Gary Matthews Jr. as a free agent or trade for Ryan Freel. As good as Matthews was this year, the fact remains that it took him until the age of 31 before many casual baseball fans even knew who he was.

Matthews will command a large raise this season, and his asking price might reach a point where the Braves and other teams have to truly wonder if he's capable of producing another season like the one he just had.

As for Freel, the Reds owe him just $1.7 million next year and I don't see much reason for them to look to deal this versatile threat whose .367 career on-base percentage certainly proves he's capable of being a valuable leadoff hitter.

Although the Braves managed to score the second-most runs in the National League this year without the benefit of a true leadoff hitter, I still feel they must find somebody who can provide the consistent spark that Rafael Furcal did during his six seasons in Atlanta.

As the postseason continues to unfold, the importance of a leadoff hitter will be highlighted. Had Furcal or Kenny Lofton -- the top two hitters in the Dodgers' lineup -- done any sort of damage this past week, the Mets wouldn't have gotten away with entering October with an injury-depleted pitching staff.

With both Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz's contracts expiring after the 2007 season, does it mean that the greatest GM/manager combo in the history of baseball will be retiring? Or is there a plan in the works to keep both of them until Judgment Day?
    I'm assuming you're using the Biblical reference to refer to Judgment Day and wondering if both Cox and Schuerholz will be around forever. Unless you know something that I don't, this obviously won't be the case.

But I wouldn't be surprised to enter the 2008 season with both still in their current positions. Last year at this time, I wasn't so sure.

My thinking was that they'd both done more than enough to solidify legitimate candidacy for Cooperstown and that there really wasn't much more for them to prove.

But then this year arrived with a multitude of disappointments, and by the end, it was obvious both were determined to make sure next year won't be the same.

Both Cox and Schuerholz may be growing old in age, but neither has shown any sign of losing their mental abilities. What they've done in Atlanta over the past two decades certainly earns them the opportunity to continue working in their roles as long as they want.

With last week's changes, they brought a little more youth to their coaching staff, and that should certainly be a benefit that could pay dividends for many years to come.

What will the Braves do with the starting pitching for next year? I heard Tom Glavine say that there are only two teams he'd play for (Braves and Mets) and Barry Zito is a friend of Tim Hudson's. What's the possibility we move on either of these guys?
    This leads me to wonder, are any of the Braves players friends with Johan Santana?

Zito's friendship with Hudson could certainly help if the eccentric southpaw were mulling an option of coming to Atlanta. But I don't know if there is a need for the Braves to try to financially work things to the point where they could afford either Zito or Glavine.

With Pedro Martinez out for most or possibly all of the 2007 season, the Mets will likely exercise the $14 million option in Glavine's contract. They'll also make every attempt to sign Zito, who certainly is a friend of New York pitching coach Rick Peterson, who worked with Zito in Oakland.

But this isn't disturbing news for the Braves, whose strength appears to be in their starting rotation. If Mike Hampton is able to quickly regain the form that he had from July 2004 to May 2005, the trio of John Smoltz, Hudson and Hampton will be one of the game's best. Saying this, I'm obviously still of the belief that Hudson will once again regain the aggressiveness that will allow him to become Hudson of old again.

The Braves may look to trade Horacio Ramirez -- they're able to do this because of James and Davies. Although Davies struggled during this injury-plagued season, I still think the Braves would have to be blown away with an offer before even thinking about trading the 22-year-old right-hander.

If the Braves enter next season with a rotation of Smoltz, Hampton, Hudson, James and Davies, there will be at least a few preseason prognosticators who pick them to win what will be a very competitive National League East race.

Do the Braves keep Daryle Ward?
    Ward certainly did enough to give the Braves every reason to make every attempt to re-sign him. He can be a daily threat as a left-handed pinch-hitter and is defensively sound enough to give Adam LaRoche an occasional day to rest.

More importantly, he won't be too expensive, and thus, I'm of the belief he will be a member of the Braves at the start of next season.

What roles will the younger Braves like Martin Prado and Scott Thorman have next year? Does Prado have the speed to lead off? What about Willy Aybar?
    I'm not sure exactly what Thorman will be doing at the start of next season. He would certainly be an attractive piece in some potential trade offers, and at the same time could still be a valuable backup at either first base or left field.

Thorman has shown enough potential to lead me to believe the Braves will keep him. Other Canadians like Jason Bay and Justin Morneau needed a few extra years of development before becoming superstars at the Major League level.

As for Prado, he may begin the year as the team's starting second baseman. Although he hasn't played the position with regularity, the same could be said of Aybar, whose September success proved that he certainly has a chance to be a valuable asset for many years.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=atl
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Link?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

iluvfrenchyandbrian iluvfrenchy&bri's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    So they traded Giles?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n.../james3ai9.jpg

I still BELIEVE!
    We can DO IT!
    GO BRAVES!

Nope.

Rookie ERA
    Well, I don't know if that's good or bad. If JS does trade him, maybe he'll find himself a better 2B and a better lead-off hitter.

I still BELIEVE!
    We can DO IT!
    GO BRAVES!

Right now, my main concern is LF and SP.

Rookie ERA
    Yeah. It took me a while to figure out LF and SP. Slow sometimes.

I still BELIEVE!
    We can DO IT!
    GO BRAVES!