Thread: Andruw wants to stay, blasts treatment

AA ERA

Andruw wants to stay, blasts treatment

Cincinnati --- Andruw Jones wants to remain with the Braves. That's why he's not happy to be part of trade talks having not been told anything by the team.

"I think it's rude," Jones said Friday after being put on waivers and claimed by several teams. "At least call and say something.

"Pick up the phone and tell me if it's nothing, just a rumor or we're doing something. Then it wouldn't be such a shock to me if it happens."

Braves general manager John Schuerholz said in response to Jones' remarks, "I'm sorry if Andruw thinks that it's rude, but waivers are confidential."

Of the teams that claimed Jones, the one with the worst record gets a 48-hour window to work out a trade with the Braves. That team could not be confirmed Friday.

"I've never commented on waivers in my 25 years as a general manager, and I never will. That's not the way it is supposed to work," Schuerholz said.

"Andruw and I have always had a good relationship. He should know that we would talk if a trade was imminent. But I can't talk about waivers, and I won't."

Most players are put on waivers in August each year. But the center fielder is generating news because of his contract status and the fact that the Braves had trade discussions with the Boston Red Sox just before the deadline.

Jones, who came up to the Braves in 1996 at age 19, can block a trade after he attains 10 years in the majors on Aug. 15.

"I want to stay with the Braves," Jones said. "I don't want to go anywhere. Especially with two months left in the season. But right now, I don't have a say-so in whether I stay or go."

Jones said he would veto a deal once he has the right. He is owed $13.5 million next season in the final year of his contract.

With Scott Boras as his agent, the Braves know that the slugging Gold Glove winner won't be cheap to re-sign.

"I know they wouldn't do this with Chipper or Smoltzie," Jones said of long-time teammates Chipper Jones and John Smoltz. "But they aren't in the situation that I'm in. They can say no to a trade."

Braves manager Bobby Cox doesn't like all the rumors. "Waivers were designed to be confidential," he said. "No one is supposed to know."
    "As far as I'm concerned, this is a nonstory."
    http://www.ajc.com/saturday/content/...e20ac0089.html
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    I don't blame him.

MLB ERA
    I don't either. You would think he would deserve a little more after spending nearly 11 years with the team. If he stays a Brave for 10 more days he should have nothing to worry about then.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

AA ERA
    Braves general manager John Schuerholz said in response to Jones' remarks, "I'm sorry if Andruw thinks that it's rude, but waivers are confidential."
    That's my favorite quote out of the article. Apparently with everyone finding out somehow GM John Schuerholz didn't keep his end of the bargain by not allowing it to remain "confidential".
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Rookie ERA

Braves

yea i know what you mean by "confidential" this guy has been there nucleus for so long, i mean last year when they were in a load of trouble with chipper hurt, who brought them to the post season...(andruw jones)

they should keep him

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

So much for "confidential". Everyone knows that isn't true, or if it is suppose to be, the media finds out any sort of leak, rumor, whatever the run with it. Sounds like the Braves want to have their players confused, frustrated, fill in the blanks, just like the Astros players!

Why in the hell would you want to give up the best center-fielder in the game. There are just certain players that you don't trade, in my opinion. What Atlanta wants in return, I personally, don't think they will get.

Didn't they learn from Bowden, teams are not willing to give up the "farm" anymore...

Andruw, like you, is making a big deal out of nothing. Its not like they waived him midseason or anything.

This is, like Cox said, a non-story.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic