Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Braves Acquire Baez, Aybar From Dodgers For Betemit

Braves Breaking News: Braves Acquire Baez, Aybar From Dodgers For Betemit

Braves acquired pitcher Danys Baez and infielder Willy Aybar from the Los Angeles Dodgers for third baseman Wilson Betemit.

From Rotoworld.com

!!!!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Well, I can't say I'm happy that we dealt Betemit, but at least we got a young infielder in return, along with a good set up guy. I'm a huge Aybar fan and Baez has always been impressive.

This might explain the look of disgust on JS' face when Chipper went down today. I'm sure Aybar will fill in fine.

I'm a huge Aybar fan probably because he walks considerably more than most people on the Braves, or, at least, has the potential to.

Aybar is a quick, switch-hitting 2B/3B with a good eye and is fairly good on the basepaths. He'll probably fill the role that Betemit held, backup 3B/2B and pinch-hitter. While Betemit has considerably more power, I'm excited that we added some speed to this team.

Comments from Rotoworld.com:

Willy Aybar was traded from the Dodgers to the Braves in a three-player deal.
    Aybar will replace Wilson Betemit as insurance at second and third for the Braves. He's a downgrade defensively, but he can hit and he will hold his own if he's needed to play regularly. The negative is that he can't serve as a backup shortstop. Pete Orr also isn't much of a shortstop, so the Braves will have to go to Tony Pena Jr. if they ever lose Edgar Renteria. Aybar is a weaker play in NL-only leagues with the trade.

I'd rather have seen something like Baez, Izturis for Betemit, but eh, I'm satisfied with the trade as is, especially if there's cash involved.

Here's Baez's contract info, just the juicy part:

As part of the contract, if the Team Option is exercised [which it was] then Baez has the right to declare free agency following the 2006 season (if contract is not extended by Nov. 15, 2006) even if he has not reached the neccessary 6 years of service time to qualify for free agency

MLB ERA
    What a shitty trade

Well, the other rumors had us getting Linebrink for Betemit, straight up, or Proctor (excuse me while I hurl).

Linebrink for Betemit I don't like, despite Linebrink being better than Baez. Proctor...well, lets not talk about that, I doubt that was ever even considered. We get a set up guy and a young, switch-hitting backup in the infield. Can't complain much.

MLB ERA
    Dude, Betemit has endless talent. Baez has had limited success, and is what, a decent set-up man? You're talking about a middle reliever and a mediocre backup for a player who could hit 40 doubles and get 40 steals possibly.

I don't understand how this is nice for the Braves in the long run. Granted, Baez will help for this year, but unless he does amazing in ATL, or falls in love with it, why wouldn't he leave to the big bucks? Aybar is a speedy utility man who doesn't even have that good of defense.

Let me reiterate, Betemit has outstanding numbers in the minors, and is most certaintly worth more than a decent reliever and a backup middle infielder.

Look at his minor league stats and tell me I'm wrong...

The day Betemit gets 20 steals is the day I'll eat my Giants jersey.

As for Betemit, I know what he is and isn't. He's a good defensive 3B, adequate defensive 2B, and awful defensive SS. He's got 30 HR power, and a .280-.310 average ceiling. He doesn't walk much, and strikes out a lot. On the bases, he's a decent baserunner, but is not fast and does not steal bases.

Aybar's been tearing up the PCL this year. Baez will hopefully resign with us, since he has a shot to close in Atlanta.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He could do a lot full time.
    I hope Mofo is happy and jacking off to his Dodgers gear.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Aybar in the PCL this year:

0.315, 10 HRs in a bit less than 200 ABs. 0.364 with RISP; 0.313 in close and late situations. Has a 0.458 OBP while hitting leadoff, something the Braves will certainly appreciate.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Can he run?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast