Thread: Rumor Buzz on Betemit

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor Buzz on Betemit

Not "bet a meat", bastard Jon Miller.

6 Wilson Betemit, Braves 3B --
    MARKET REPORT
    For a guy who isn't even averaging two at-bats a game, Betemit sure is a hot item on the shelves these days. The Braves and Padres continue to talk about a fascinating deal that would send the 24-year-old Betemit to San Diego for the best set-up arm out there, Scott Linebrink. And the Yankees and Dodgers have also had interest, although the Yankees think they can justify trading reliever Scott Proctor for Betemit now that Octavio Dotel's journey back from Tommy John surgery has clanked into another pothole. But at the moment, it's the Braves who are wondering if they can afford to trade their own player. It's complicated enough that Betemit has ricocheted from Best Prospect in Baseball to What A Bust to Decent Utility Guy to Best Utility Whiz In The League. But now that the Braves are unsure of Chipper Jones' health, Betemit looks more indispensable by the day -- especially when you remember he has a higher slugging percentage (.503) than Jeff Francoeur (.453). So watch those box scores carefully to see if the Chipmeister returns. There's more riding on his health than just who gets to hit in front of Andruw Jones.

7 Morgan Ensberg, Astros 3B 6
    MARKET REPORT
    The Padres have checked out every third baseman except Brooks Robinson. But officials of two teams that have spoken with them said Monday they believe Ensberg is their No. 1 choice. Well, we'd advise they move on to Plan B (which is thought to be Atlanta's Wilson Betemit), because one baseball man who has spoken with Houston GM Tim Purpura says he would be "shocked" if Ensberg winds up getting traded. Scott Linebrink (San Diego's big chip) might be the best setup man available. But the Astros aren't going to trade a 30-homer, everyday player even up for a setup arm. Houston also doesn't expect to re-sign Aubrey Huff, which means Ensberg still looms as their long-term third base solution. Plus, Ensberg is still on the disabled list with a sore shoulder, and there are doubts he'll even make it off the DL before the trading deadline arrives. So if we were setting odds in Vegas, a much more likely bet is that the Padres will end up dealing Linebrink for Betemit (or for an even cheaper option, such as Cleveland's eminently available Aaron Boone).
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Linebrink could be huge for the pen, as a closer. But, since Marte was dealt, there's really no backup plan when Chipper is out if Betemit was traded. What do you do?
    Ted

MLB ERA
    I believe we still need Betemit since Chipper's health is always an issue.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What would you try trading for pitching help?
    Ted

I'd go with either prospects or one of our starters; trading Betemit is not a smart move.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic