Thread: What would you do to turn this team around?

Braves What would you do to turn this team around?

1.) Trade for a closer, Fuentes perhaps? Maybe Nathan? I'd give up Giles for a closer right now.

2.) Trade for Carlos Lee.

3.) Resign Carlos Lee.

4.) Get a lefty masher at 1B.

Lineup:

SS Renteria
    C McCann
    3B Chipper
    CF Andruw
    LF Carlos Lee
    2B Betemit
    RF Francoeur
    1B Laroche/lefty masher guy
    Pitcher

Pitching:

Hudson
    Smoltz
    HoRam
    Thomson
    Sosa/James

MO: James/Sosa

MR: McBride, Villareal, Reitsma, Paronto

SU: Ray

CP: Nathan?

---------------

Couldn't be much worse, could it.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Your lefty masher could come in the form of Phil Nevin. Despite the Rangers paying most of his salary, I don't see how long the Cubs are going to hold onto him. Nevin is great against lefties, terrible (and thats an understatement) against righties. An extra bonus is being able to play other positions, COF, 1B, C, 3B even.

You could get Carlos Lee, especially considering I don't think the Brewers are going to re-sign him after this season. They have plenty of OF depth in the minors, and can afford to let him go, and spend the money elsewhere. The Brewers can still compete, and to do that, they need Lee anchoring that lineup. If they are inclined to trade him, I imagine it will cost a lot. Probably a good pitcher prospect. Not Davies (although they could ask for him) but probably someone a step below him.

Kenny Ray looks good as a closer, but I know how you'd want someone with more experience there. Nathan isn't coming to Atlanta if your looking to trade Giles- they already have Luis Castillo, who they signed last offseason. Most teams with competant closers are going to be in playoff races, so it might take Giles and a prospect (considering Giles is struggling right now) to get one.

Also, I think it would be best to add another starter. Sosa looks lost as a starter now, and John Thomson is struggling as well. You can't count on Ramirez being the third starter. With all his potential, he seems to be always injured with something. Pitching will win this division, with four of five stadiums pitchers parks, and if the Braves could add a closer and another starter, they can right the ship, and take out the Mets.

I'd love Tony Clark at 1B.

As for Thomson, I think he's injured, because, from when I've seen him pitch, he was pretty good until about 2-3 weeks ago. He isn't throwing the same. I'd let Chuck James start.

Lee would be great.

MLB ERA
    Nevin, a lefty masher? Try washed up ancient. They do need a closer though and Minny would definetly be willing to move Nathan since they have Crain. But a few moves would not only put the Braves back in contention, but may push them over the top.

MLB ERA
    Can acquiring a miracle help?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Nevin, a lefty masher? Try washed up ancient. They do need a closer though and Minny would definetly be willing to move Nathan since they have Crain. But a few moves would not only put the Braves back in contention, but may push them over the top.
    If Minny moves Nathan, it won't be because of Crain, it'll be because of Rincon. I'd like to add him too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3260

Nevin may only hit .255 in lefties, but in 55 ABs, he has 4 HR and 10 RBI against lefties, compared to a .204 average against righties, with 6 HR and 23 RBI (137 ABs.) If your looking for someone to platoon against lefties, Nevin is a solid veteran to add.

I don't think Minnesota would move Nathan. Crain is untested in the closer role, and Nathan signed an extension last year.

$3,750,000 (2006 salary)
    $5,250,000 (2007)
    $7,000,000 (2008 option)

Thats pretty cheap for a closer, and will prevent Minnesota from trading him easily. You'll have to come up with quite a deal to pry him away from Minnesota before that deal is up.

Not Crain, damnit. Rincon.

MLB ERA
    Rincon takes steroids.

MLB ERA
    The team is beyond repair.

Rincon takes steroids.
    Good, maybe he can give some to the rest of the ****ing team so we can start playing.

Quote Originally Posted by General
    Not Crain, damnit. Rincon.
    Same with Rincon. He is untested in the closer role as well. Anyway, Crain is at least two years younger than Rincon, and has worlds more talent. Many prospect sources rated him as one of the best prospects in baseball, and his pure stuff is better than Rincon, which makes him the obvious choice to replace Nathan down the line.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    The team is beyond repair.
    They're a hot streak by the pitching staff away from being back up at the top.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

We have a pitching staff?