A veteran scout took in the season-opening series between the Triple-A affiliates of the Angels (Salt Lake) and Diamondbacks (Tucson), and came away impressed with the plethora of impact prospects on the two Pacific Coast League rosters. Salt Lake won three of the four games to open the season.

"I would bet those are the two best teams in Triple-A this year, in terms of talent. You look at some Triple-A rosters and see a lot of older guys and maybe one guy you could really call a prospect. You look at these teams, and you see prospects. Look at Tucson, with (Conor) Jackson, (Carlos) Quentin and (Sergio) Santos. All those guys are 21-22-23 years old, they're in Triple-A and they can do some things.

"I like Quentin better than Jackson because he can do a lot more. Jackson's a good hitter, but he's playing first base right now, and he doesn't look too good over there. Quentin is a real right fielder, good arm, good defensive player.

"Santos is very big for a shortstop, but he looks like a good infielder. His actions and his footwork are OK for an infielder; I don't think he has to go to the outfield. There's some talk he might move to second base, but I think he's more likely to go to third. He's strong and well put-together, and he's got a strong arm. But there's nothing harder to do than scout a player who's playing out of position, and that's what you have to do with Santos.