Thread: Dbacks gearing up

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

D'Backs Dbacks gearing up

Per MLBTR.com:
    The Diamondbacks acquired second baseman Aaron Hill and shortstop John McDonald from the Blue Jays for Kelly Johnson, tweets John Gambadoro Sports 620 KTAR. Both teams confirmed the trade in a press release.

Johnson, a favorite of Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos, has slumped to .209/.287/.412 in 481 plate appearances this year. He has $1.16MM remaining on his contract and projects as a high Type B in the National League. He's probably still at least a B in the AL, which has to be Toronto's motivation in acquiring the impending free agent.

Hill, 29, has been worse than Johnson at .225/.270/.313 in 429 plate appearances. His $8MM club option is expected to be declined after the season, at which point he'd be a Type B free agent. I'm not sure what Anthopoulos gets out of the swap. Maybe he thinks Johnson will be a Type A and will decline arbitration, or maybe he's just more inclined to offer arbitration to Johnson than Hill. Or, maybe he hopes to extend Johnson cheaply. Hill has about $990K remaining on his contract. McDonald, a defensive whiz, has about $300K remaining, so the money is pretty close.

From Arizona's point of view, McDonald can pitch in at shortstop with Willie Bloomquist, since Stephen Drew is out for the season. As for liking Hill over Johnson, perhaps GM Kevin Towers feels a change of scenery will help, or he prefers Hill's defense.

The Diamondbacks and Blue Jays last matched up on a trade three years ago, when the Toronto acquired David Eckstein for Chad Beck.
    Not the sexiest of trades but I do think it's a good deal for the Dbacks. They fill some needs and get two possible Type B free agents. McDonald's always good for defense and Hill might enjoy feeding off teams under .500 the rest of the way. Yep, the Dbacks have the easiest schedule from here on out.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dbacks gearing up

The dry air can only help Hill's near invisible slugging right? ...yikes.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

2009: 36 home runs, .499 slugging, .286 avg

2010: 26 home runs, .394 slugging, .205 avg

2011: 6 home runs, .313 slugging, .225 avg

Eeeeeee?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dat boy good!

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Two Possible Type B?!?!?!?!

I love Johnny Mac, but he is no type B.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA