Thread: Lunch time chatter edition 2

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

D'Backs Lunch time chatter edition 2

It's a late lunch today.

So Brandon Webb has missed most of 2009, pitching just 4 forgettable innings. One wonders what the future holds for the former Cy Young winner, and runner up of just last season. Would it be worth it to Arizona to keep him and see what they could do next season, or should they try to trade him off. There is some precedent set for Webb in a situation like this, it might not be quite the same, but go back in time when the St. Louis Cardinals picked up Chris Carpenter on the cheap while he was recovering. So hey maybe Toronto felt he'd never make it, or be someone that would help a team. Naturally, Carpenter recovered and regained his form, becoming a top tier starting pitcher in the league, winning a Cy Young and being an all-star.

Not bad right. Webb actually has a far better track record before major injury than Carpenter. One could argue Webb was even better than Carpenter when he was at his best. No matter what your opinion of him is, it might be a gamble depending on the price to try and pick up Brandon Webb.

He was transferred to the 60 day DL, and might return in September, so it's probably not an immediate return investment. Then again, a late run with Webb on your side, it might make things that much more interesting.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Lunch time chatter edition 2

Don't they also have an option on him after this season? I mean, I think his contract runs out(either with an option for next season, or for next season, and an option for 2011), in which case...is there any way that he doesn't return to Arizona?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

If they keep losing, and don't forsee anytime in the near (read: very soon) future, maybe see a bit of a firesale out of Arizona and rebuild a la Tampa Bay.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Don't they also have an option on him after this season? I mean, I think his contract runs out(either with an option for next season, or for next season, and an option for 2011), in which case...is there any way that he doesn't return to Arizona?
    They can buy him out for less than they would have to pay him.
    Just read an interesting little article about Webb, and the situation that he is now in. He is going under the knife and will miss the rest of this season, and will miss time next season as well.

Here is the article...Discussion: Brandon Webb: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
    and some more on the subject...http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...o-surgery.html