Thread: Melvin Out, Hinch In?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

D'Backs Melvin Out, Hinch In?

The Diamondbacks have pegged Director of Player Development A.J. Hinch to replace Bob Melvin as manager.
    Melvin was given the boot Thursday night. Hinch is an odd hire with no managerial or coaching experience, but he's a former catcher and has the youth to relate to the Diamondbacks' young squad. He will be officially announced as the new skipper at a press conference Friday afternoon.
    Hinch is a very odd hire considering he has no experience whatsoever. His hitting coach was fired too and his pitching coach resigned. The Dbacks are in trouble and need an actual coaching staff.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Melvin Out, Hinch In?

Nice Fred Flintstone haircut, A.J.

Bryan Price resigned because he's Melvin's pal from their days in Seattle.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"There is an unbelievably strong connection to Bob and a loyalty to Bob. I feel his termination was unfair and uncalled for. They fire one of my friends, who I believe in firmly, and they replace him with somebody with no experience," Price said.

"To me it was a slap in the face not only to Bob but to Chip and to Gibby and to anybody who has actually managed or coached in the past. I thought it bypassed people who were more prepared to finish out the year."
    In A.J. we don't trust?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Hinch is a very odd hire considering he has no experience whatsoever. His hitting coach was fired too and his pitching coach resigned. The Dbacks are in trouble and need an actual coaching staff.
    Despite Bryan Price's comments, I don't believe Hinch needs prior experience as a baseball manager. Hinch played in the big leagues and has worked in the front office, so he should know the game in and out. Plus, he is a Stanford grad, so he's a smart guy who will never be caught making dumb, illogical statements such as Jerry Manuel's "You don’t see a lot of guys that have statistical numbers play well in these championship series", or worse, making gametime decisions that reflect such statements.