Thread: Backs Ink Lopez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

D'Backs Backs Ink Lopez

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Diamondbacks have agreed to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with infielder Felipe Lopez.
    Lopez could open the 2009 season as the Diamondbacks' starting second baseman with Orlando Hudson on the way out. Lopez had a resurgence with the Cardinals and the end of last season, batting .385/.426./.538 with 21 RBI in a 43-game stretch.
    The Dbacks are strapped for cash so this is a good move for them. Anything to keep Mark Reynolds away from second base. Lopez will get plenty of playing time in Arizona. Not exactly Orlando Hudson but Lopez should do a decent job filling his role. Apparently they chose Lopez over Eckstein and Ramon Vazquez.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Backs Ink Lopez

They could have had Lopez five years ago when they traded Erubiel Durazo in the same four way trade that sent Lopez to Cincinnati. But they got Elmer Dessens instead. Ha!

MLB ERA

Re: Backs Ink Lopez

$3.5 Mil seems like a lot for a guy that the Nationals released last summer. I guess that's the way the market is this year. All in all, I think it's a good signing. I'd rather have Lopez for 1 year for 3.5Mil than Izturis for 2 years at $6Mil. I was hoping the Cardinals would keep Lopez as a backup, but I guess he was able to get a lot more than they would have been willing ot pay him.