Thread: The silver lining behind Byrnes' breakout year

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

D'Backs The silver lining behind Byrnes' breakout year

Although it was refreshing for baseball fans in general, myself included, that Byrnes became the most valuable player for the Diamondbacks last year because he is a charismatic hard-nosed player who finally got his big break, the silver lining for division rivals is that the Diamondbacks kept him and traded Carlos Quentin, who I predicted last year would make a big impact for the Dbacks, to the White Sox. I say Quentin was a more than sufficient thank you card for Kenny Williams' past gift of Chris Young, not to mention would be-future leftfielder Carlos Gonzalez was included in the deal for Dan Haren.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The silver lining behind Byrnes' breakout year

Now Brynes is on the DL. Oh well. you win some, you lose some

I've never been very impressed with Byrnes. He isn't a bad player by any means, but not really the cornerstone guy the Dbacks seem to want him to be. Quentin has been terrific this year, but as LtR said no one knows for certain how players are going to perform.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I've never been very impressed with Byrnes. He isn't a bad player by any means, but not really the cornerstone guy the Dbacks seem to want him to be. Quentin has been terrific this year, but as LtR said no one knows for certain how players are going to perform.
    Yeah I agree with what your saying. As much as it pains me to say it (as Byrnesie is my fave player), he's never really been a "standout star". He's had some good seasons, and it's his fire and intensity that makes him a good player. And as for Quentin, it just goes to say how much of a difference a change of scenery can do for a player. Hopefully he can keep it up.

I like Byrnes too, he is a great spark player to have on your team and a good guy in the club house. BTW hot_corner_gurl nice avatar. The Office is an awesome show, I just ordered a replica Dwight Bobble head not to long ago.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Let's be honest here, Quentin isn't facing good pitching like he was in the NL West. Quentin had the power but little else for the Dbacks.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I like Byrnes too, he is a great spark player to have on your team and a good guy in the club house. BTW hot_corner_gurl nice avatar. The Office is an awesome show, I just ordered a replica Dwight Bobble head not to long ago.
    Yeah his presence was great for the A's, and it seems to be pretty good for the D-backs too. But what a guy to have for a team leader. He's a little out there...and thanks. The Office does pwn all other shows out there. Haha a Dwight bobblehead. Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Let's be honest here, Quentin isn't facing good pitching like he was in the NL West. Quentin had the power but little else for the Dbacks.
    True, very true. The AL doesn't have the same amount of dominant pitchers as the NL does, and the stats go to prove it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

hopefully, Arizona thinks it was worth 2 - 3 years of Byrnes instead of 5 - 6 years at the minimum for Quentin. Quentin certainly looks like the real deal this season. I didn't realize that he already has 14 homers! Who did they get for Quentin? That will play a huge part in whether or not it was worth it. Quentin vs. Byrnes will be a no-brainer in the long-term...of course, if Arizona wins a title this year, I'm sure they won't mind too much.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dbacks got a first baseman named Chris Carter. Let's not forget Quentin was coming off shoulder surgery and really didn't hit well as a Dback. Carter was traded to the A's in the Haren deal.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

then I guess it was worth it since it's very hard to sign solid starting pitching in free agency.