Thread: Big Unit Scratched

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

D'Backs Big Unit Scratched

Because of cold and rainy conditions, the Diamondbacks have opted to scratch Randy Johnson and start Edgar Gonzalez on Sunday.
    Johnson will now pitch Tuesday, with Micah Owings and Dan Haren following in the series versus the Rockies. "With a guy that’s had the problems he has with his back," manager Bob Melvin said, "to send him out there in those conditions, not only with what will certainly be a wet field, but also windy conditions play on the back, there are a lot of reasons not to pitch him today.
    Mainly I just wanted to use the headline "Big Unit Scratched" because I found it funny. But its also useful as an update on today's game

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Big Unit Scratched

He pitched well last time out against Atlanta. He got 10 k's in 6 innings while giving up 0 earned runs. He is 4 - 1 so far. I hope he stays healthy and would love to see him get 12 more wins to get 300 for his career. Do you guys think it's possible for him to win 16 total games this year? I'd love to see it...quite possibly would be the last 300 game winner for a while...

With the Arizona offense I would say it is possible. The bigger question in my mind is his ability to stay healthy for the rest of the season. If he doesn't make it though, I'm sure he will return for another season to be sure to get that milestone. It is something you just can't pass up the opportunity to get.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

yea...I think that's why he's stuck around as long as he has. He really wants to get 300 wins. I'd love for him to get it this year and then retire, but as you said he needs to stay healthy for the rest of the season to have a shot at it. The real question is...is he a HoF player if he doesn't get 300 wins? You know how some of those voters are. I'd say he is, but from what I've read he's not going to quit until he gets #300 for sure.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    yea...I think that's why he's stuck around as long as he has. He really wants to get 300 wins. I'd love for him to get it this year and then retire, but as you said he needs to stay healthy for the rest of the season to have a shot at it. The real question is...is he a HoF player if he doesn't get 300 wins? You know how some of those voters are. I'd say he is, but from what I've read he's not going to quit until he gets #300 for sure.
    I dunno, I think he'll get into the Hall regardless of whether or not he gets 300 wins. He's third all time on the strikeout list with 4,638 and is only 34 K's behind Clemens (who is second). Plus he has what, 3 or 4 Cy Young awards? I think he should be in the Hall either way.

And yes, he consistantly says that he's not going to quit until he gets win numbet 300. He's 16 wins away...realisticly I don't think it's going to happen this year. If he can stay around for another year or two he should be able to get number 300.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah Johnson is a HOFer no doubt about it. He has Cy's in both leagues, has a ring, damn near 300 wins and is one of the most dominating lefties of all-time.

MLB ERA

Don't forget that he is also the oldest player ever to throw a perfect game at the age of 40.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So no one like the "Big Unit Scratched" joke? I am just in my own world I guess.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    So no one like the "Big Unit Scratched" joke? I am just in my own world I guess.
    Looks like you answered your own question.

Johnson tied Clemens tonite for second on the all-time K's list. Couldn't get the K to pass him though. Guess that'll have to wait until the road. And his tying Clemens makes me realize that my post earlier had some old stats...my bad.

Just one step closer now. I'm sure he knows that he is already a hall of famer, but the 300 wins is something you do for yourself, so you know you can. No doubt in my mind if he doesn't get it this year he will be back to get it next year. That is unless he sucks from here on out and gets Fred McGriffed. Fat chance though.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

hopefully, he gets it this season and can retire instead of sticking around forever...appearing selfish. You can't blame the guy and he very well could end up being the last 300 game winner for a long, long time...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You can't blame the guy and he very well could end up being the last 300 game winner for a long, long time...
    The next closest guy to 300 wins is Mike Mussina, and he's currently sitting at 258. Health and contracts pending, he could reach it, however it's obvious that it's not going to be for quite a few years.

MLB ERA

Mike Mussina will be 40 this year. It's possible, but as of now he's 42 wins short. He's got 8 this year so far. For the sake of argument let's say he doubles that (might not happen, but given we're not even halfway yet it could). That would leave him at 34. He'd have to win an average of 17 over the following 2 seasons, which is very unlikely. He'd have to win an average of 11, 11, and 12 in the following 3 seasons, which would put him at 43. I can't picture him being effective enough to last that long.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mike Mussina will be 40 this year. It's possible, but as of now he's 42 wins short. He's got 8 this year so far. For the sake of argument let's say he doubles that (might not happen, but given we're not even halfway yet it could). That would leave him at 34. He'd have to win an average of 17 over the following 2 seasons, which is very unlikely. He'd have to win an average of 11, 11, and 12 in the following 3 seasons, which would put him at 43. I can't picture him being effective enough to last that long.
    Wow...I dunno what else to say. Reaching 300 wins sounds so much harder when you break it down like that. Which makes the accomplishment mean more sentimentally, if that's possible.