Thread: Terrible rehab start for Johnson

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Terrible rehab start for Johnson

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Randy Johnson gave up eight hits, allowed five earned runs, and struck out just one in four innings in a rehab start with the minor league Tucson Sidewinders.

The 44-year-old Arizona Diamondbacks ace is trying to come back from his second back surgery in less than a year. He went on the disabled list Sunday, a move retroactive to March 22.

Johnson gave up two runs in the first inning Thursday to the Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox in his first rehab start. He gave up three more in the second before holding the Sox scoreless for his final two innings. He left after throwing 78 pitches, 53 for strikes and giving up two walks and wasn't happy with the outing.

"It's frustrating because I put in a lot of time and effort this whole offseason into being ready," Johnson told the Arizona Daily Star. "The biggest reward is when you can go and get the results that you want and feel confident and feel like you're making progress."

Tucson won 12-10.

Diamondbacks coach Bob Melvin said Johnson will likely make one more rehab start. He's scheduled to start Tuesday in Tucson.
    How much can Arizona really expect from the Unit at this point? He's well past his prime and is going to be injury prone for the rest of his career. I doubt he gives the DBacks very much this season.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Terrible rehab start for Johnson

This is Randy's spring training. He isn't too concerned with the end resutl. As long as he gets his arm and mechanics where he wants, he should be good for 15-20 starts realistically.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Terrible rehab start for Johnson

Can anyone say retirement. it is time Randy.