Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Diamondbacks News

MLB ERA

D'Backs Arizona Diamondbacks News

Diamondbacks signed RHP D.J. Carrasco to a minor league contract.
    Carrasco, one of the Royals' best pitchers in 2005, was a bust in Japan after signing a two-year deal with the SoftBank Hawks, giving up 17 runs and 22 hits in 10 1/3 innings last season. He might resurface with the Diamondbacks as a middle reliever.

Diamondbacks signed outfielder Dee Brown to a minor league contract.
    Brown spent parts of seven seasons in the majors with the Royals, but he had showed little since 2004 before a big second half last season. He hit .339/.368/.549 with 14 homers in 67 games after the All-Star break at Double-A Wichita and then .438 with two homers in the postseason. It seems unlikely that he'll return to the majors with the Diamondbacks, but he might be able to make himself interesting to another team with a fast start in Triple-A.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Randy Johnson is back from his vacation in Hawaii and set to become more involved in the talks between the Diamondbacks and the Yankees.
    The New York Post says the major issues remaining are how much of Johnson's 2007 salary the Yankees will pay and how much Johnson is willing to give up in a 2008 extension. The Diamondbacks would prefer not to pay him more than $10 million this season and could try to get him to reduce his 2007 salary of $16 million in return for the extension. The Diamondbacks have yet to open up the 72-hour window in which they'd be allowed to negotiate directly with Johnson.

The Diamondbacks have reportedly requested a 72-hour window in order to negotiate an extension with Randy Johnson.
    The request could be granted before the end of the day. If true, this should mean the players involved in the Johnson trade have been agreed to. The East Valley Tribune reported Sunday that the Yankees could get two players from a group of four: Brandon Medders, Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings.

A source told USA TODAY that a Randy Johnson deal between the Yankees and Diamondbacks will get done this week.
    The Yankees are reportedly set to get three players -- a major league reliever and two pitching prospects -- so it looks like they'll be paying a substantial portion of the $16 million that Johnson was owed. It was previously reported the Diamondbacks would have to give up just the two prospects if they were going to pay all or nearly all of Johnson's salary. The reliever the Yankees are getting is probably Brandon Medders, though Luis Vizcaino has also been mentioned. Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings were the prospects most frequently coming up in talks.

The Yankees have reportedly turned down Arizona's request to have a window to work out an extension with Randy Johnson.
    It's probably not a deal killer, assuming the Yankees are willing to pay a portion of what Johnson is owed next season. The finances have to be worked out before the Diamondbacks will make the deal.

According to Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown, the Yankees and Diamondbacks aren't only still working on financial details of a Randy Johnson deal, but they've also yet to agree on the players involved.
    The Yankees are still focusing on the deal with Arizona, but the Padres haven't been told they're out of it, according to Brown's source. Yankees GM Brian Cashman has told both teams he would like to have a deal done by the end of the week.

The Yankees and Diamondbacks have advanced far enough in their discussions that Randy Johnson has already agreed, in principle, to a contract extension for 2008 with Arizona, two people familiar with the situation told Newsday.
    So many varying opinions, but this is the most concrete report to come in so far. Newsday says the Yankees will get Luis Vizcaino, not Brandon Medders, in the deal. They're also expected to get Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings. It's still possible they'll receive two of the three pitching prospects, but they'd have to kick in more money for that to happen. According to the report, the deal remains two or three days away from being finalized.

Adding more weight to the Newsday report, Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown says the Yankees and Diamondbacks are "very close" to a Randy Johnson deal.
    Like Newsday, Brown says the Yankees will get Luis Vizcaino and either Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings. Vizcaino is a bigger upgrade for the Yankee pen than Brandon Medders, but the Diamondbacks would prefer to give him up because he's just a year away from free agency. Of the young pitchers, Nippert has the most upside, but also the most question marks. Our guess is that the Yankees will take Owings if it's their choice.

The Diamondbacks and Yankees have agreed on the structure of a Randy Johnson deal, a source with knowledge of the negotiations told MLB.com.
    Like the other reports, MLB.com says it will be Luis Vizcaino and either Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings going to New York. WFAN is reporting that that the Yankees will get Vizcaino, Ohlendorf and a pair of lesser prospects: right-hander Steven Jackson and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez. To complete the deal, the Diamondbacks and Johnson will have to agree to an extension. Newsday reported in Thursday's edition that a deal for 2008 had already been worked out, but whether or not that's true, the sides will likely go ahead with the 72-hour window to finalize the agreement.

The Diamondbacks and Yankees have informed the commissioner's office of the specifics of a Randy Johnson trade, leaving an extension for Johnson the only remaining obstacle.
    The 72-hour window for working out a deal is now open. The Diamondbacks aren't expected to do the deal unless they can get Johnson signed for 2008. However, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The AP confirms the WFAN report that the Yankees will receive Luis Vizcaino, right-hander Ross Ohlendorf and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez in return, but only says that an additional minor league pitcher may be included. WFAN reported that the fourth player would be right-hander Steven Jackson. We're not particularly high on Ohlendorf or the lesser prospects, but this still isn't a bad deal for the Yankees. They'll only be paying $1.5 million-$2 million of the $16 million Johnson is owed next season. Factoring in the luxury tax and Vizcaino's salary, they're saving about $18 million here.

The Diamondbacks plan to talk to Randy Johnson today. They have until 3 p.m. Sunday to work out an extension with the left-hander.
    If the extension gets done, he'll likely have his physical on Monday, meaning the deal might not be announced before Tuesday. The Yankees will get Luis Vizcaino, RHP Ross Ohlendorf, SS Alberto Jackson and RHP Steven Jackson from the Diamondbacks and pay $2 million of the $16 million Johnson is owed next season.

The Diamondbacks and Randy Johnson are moving closer to agreeing on an extension prior to Sunday's deadline.
    "We've agreed not to comment on the substance of the negotiations," agent Barry Meister said. "But we feel like we are making progress." Of course, if Newsday is to be believed, this is all a ruse, as the two sides reportedly worked out the terms of an extension before the deal with the Yankees was finalized Thursday. Either way, there shouldn't be any problems here.

Randy Johnson and the Diamondbacks will officially come to terms Sunday on a contract extension for 2008, says Newsday.
    Newsday maintains that the deal was essentially agreed to before the trade was done Thursday. Johnson is expected to get a one-year extension worth about $10 million. He'll then take his physical Monday, leaving the trade with the Yankees to be announced on Tuesday.

Free agent Jim Parque, who last pitched in the minors in 2004, is attempting a comeback.
    Parque pitched in the majors in 2003, but he hasn't really been a major league pitcher since 2000, when he went 13-6 with a 4.28 ERA in his best season with the White Sox. Battling arm troubles, he had a 9.68 ERA in 73 innings over the following three seasons. Parque's agent says he's back throwing 90 mph, but we're skeptical, since he rarely hit 90 mph in the first place. It seems doubtful that he'll help a major league team anytime soon.

The Diamondbacks confirmed that they've come to terms on a one-year contract extension with Randy Johnson prior to Sunday's 5 p.m. EST deadline.
    Johnson is expected to get $10 million in 2008. A physical is scheduled for Monday. If he passes, the deal with the Yankees will be announced on Tuesday.

The Diamondbacks have called a 3 p.m. EST news conference on Tuesday to announce the acquisition of Randy Johnson.
    ESPN is reporting that he passed his physical. Johnson will make $26 million over the next two years after agreeing to a one-year extension with the Diamondbacks. His new deal calls for a $12 million signing bonus, of which $3.5 million is payable this year, $500,000 in 2008, and $4 million each in 2009 and 2010. He gets salaries of $4 million this year and $10 million in 2008. As part of the trade, New York would pay $2 million of Johnson's salary this year.

Diamondbacks acquired LHP Randy Johnson and cash from the Yankees for RHP Luis Vizcaino, RHP Ross Ohlendorf, SS Alberto Gonzalez and RHP Steven Jackson; signed Johnson to a one-year extension through 2008.
    The Yankees are sending over $2 million of the $16 million Johnson had been due this season. Johnson gets a $10 million extension as part of the deal. The Diamondbacks are gambling quite a bit here, but really, they didn't give up any big pieces of their future to bring the Unit back home. Johnson is clearly a better bet to bounce back in the NL than he would have been with the Yankees. We still worry about his back, but no longer to the point that we'd recommend staying away from him in fantasy leagues.

Diamondbacks agreed to terms with RHP Juan Cruz on a one-year, $1,437,500 contract.
    Cruz will again be eligible for arbitration next year before becoming a free agent after 2008. He had some success as both a starter and a reliever for the D'Backs last season, finishing with a 4.18 ERA. However, he was a non-factor at the end of the season, pitching just five innings in September even though he was healthy. He might be a long shot to claim the vacancy in the team's rotation this year, though he has more short-term upside than anyone else in the mix.

Diamondbacks agreed to terms with RHP Jorge Julio on a one-year, $3.6 million contract.
    Julio has a 4.80 ERA over the last four years, but that hasn't stopped him from commanding a very respectable salary. This is his last year of arbitration before free agency. He's likely to open the season as a setup man for Jose Valverde.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Diamondbacks haven't confirmed it yet, but they've agreed to terms with Jose Valverde on a one-year, $2 million contract.
    Arizona still has four players eligible for salary arbitration: Doug Davis, Brandon Lyon, Orlando Hudson and Eric Byrnes. Valverde is set to enter the year as the team's closer.

Diamondbacks agreed to terms with RHP Jose Valverde on a one-year, $2 million contract.
    Valverde is set to enter another year as the Diamondbacks' closer. He's capable of keeping the job the whole season through, but he's yet to remain healthy and consistent for a full year.

Diamondbacks agreed to terms with RHP Brandon Lyon on a one-year contract.
    The Diamondbacks said at the end of last season that they'd consider making Lyon a starter this year. However, they haven't followed through on that at all. He'll help Jorge Julio set up for Jose Valverde.

Diamondbacks agreed to terms with second baseman Orlando Hudson on a one-year, $3.9 million contract.
    Hudson made $2.3 million last year in his first season of arbitration. The Diamondbacks might discuss a multiyear deal with him during spring training.

MLB ERA
    Valverde was a good closer his rookie year. Hopefully he can perfrom better then that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Diamondbacks agreed to terms with LHP Doug Davis on a three-year, $22 million contract.
    We're not sure it's a good signing, but it's cheaper than we thought Davis would settle for. The 31-year-old left-hander asked for $7.5 million in arbitration this year. Now he's settling for a deal that buys out his first two years of free agency at slightly less than that salary annually. He'll get $5.5 million this year, $7.75 million in 2008 and $8.75 million in 2009. If Miguel Batista is worth $25 million for three years, Davis could have done quite a bit better in free agency.
    Great news for the DBacks organization getting this guy so cheap after the shit deals they have made in the past (Russ Ortiz, Troy Glaus, etc.). NOw they just have to hope he can keep the ball in the park, something a lot of pitcher's can't do.

MLB ERA
    No kidding! Hopefully he can keep the ball inside the park.

MLB ERA
    Notes from the 5th of March.
    Scott Hairston homered and drove in three runs Sunday night against the Rockies.
    Hairston has been OK to play despite a bruised elbow suffered when he was hit by a liner in batting practice a week ago. Since he's out of options, the 26-year-old outfielder is expected to make the Diamondbacks as a bench player. However, he could still benefit from a trade.

Randy Johnson is scheduled to throw his fifth bullpen session of the spring Wednesday.
    Johnson threw a 63-pitch session Sunday and called it a "pretty productive day" afterward. Barring a setback Wednesday, he'll then be ready to face live hitters for the first time.

Enrique Gonzalez faced just one batter over the minimum while working three innings Monday in the Diamondbacks' shutout of the Giants.
    Dana Eveland, Brandon Lyon, Jorge Julio and Mike Schultz finished the four-hitter. If the Diamondbacks want to keep Juan Cruz in the pen, Gonzalez could be the best choice to act as the team's fifth starter at the beginning of the season. He'd be an option as a $1 pick if he's in the rotation.

MLB ERA
    Livan Hernandez was torched for nine runs -- seven earned -- in 3 1/3 innings by the Rangers on Wednesday.
    Hernandez cares even less about spring training numbers than most veteran hurlers, so how he performs this month isn't going to alter our projections for him. Of course, we're not expecting much from him anyway. He's likely to be a liability in ERA and WHIP with Chase Field working against him.

Randy Johnson (back) threw nearly 55 pitches Wednesday in his fifth bullpen session of the spring.
    He again mixed in sliders. "Today was probably the best side day of any day that I've had since I've started just because I feel like things are getting better," he said. "The results were better with the pitches I was throwing. I felt like my legs were getting to where they need to be, and I just felt like everything, today, came together." Johnson will likely face hitters for the first time on Saturday.

MLB ERA
    Manager Bob Melvin said Wednesday that Stephen Drew is unlikely to serve as Arizona's leadoff hitter.
    Melvin hinted that he sees Drew hitting in the middle of the order in the future and his power would be somewhat wasted in the leadoff spot. Orlando Hudson, Eric Byrnes and Chris Young are the likely candidates to hit first.

Robby Hammock went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer Thursday against the Angels.
    Hammock is 4-for-10 with three walks this spring. Because of his ability to catch, he'd be a useful 25th man for the Diamondbacks. However, he's unlikely to make the team unless Scott Hairston is traded or Jeff DaVanon has to begin the season on the DL.

Dustin Nippert was perfect through two innings of relief Thursday to earn a victory over the Angels.
    Nippert entered camp as a long shot to win a spot in Arizona's rotation, but he's impressed with the his results and the impovement he's shown with his changeup. He has more upside than the alternatives, so if he keeps pitching well, he might make the team.

Doug Davis was taken out of Thursday's game in the third inning after being hit near the left elbow with a bouncer by the Angels' Reggie Willits.
    Davis said he would have tried to stay in the game during the regular season, and he expects to take his next turn in the rotation.

MLB ERA
    Thankx Drvaven for keeping this updated. I am busy thease days, so I try to find time to visit here.

MLB ERA

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks News

News from the 10th of August.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Doug Davis surrendered two runs in seven innings against the Pirates on Thursday to record his ninth win of the season.
    Davis gave up five hits and three walks while striking out three. Both runs he allowed came on a two-run shot by Jason Bay in the fourth. Today's outing was the seventh straight quality start for Davis, who has four wins while lowering his ERA almost a half point during that span. He'll face the Marlins next week.

MLB ERA

News from the 11th of August.
    Conor Jackson crushed a pair of two-run homers to supply the Diamondbacks with four runs Friday in an 11-4 win over the Nationals.
    Jackson also singled, walked and stole a base. He had been off to a slow start this month after a nice second half of July, but this should help his case for more playing time. It was his second career two-homer game, the other coming July 15, 2006.

The Diamondbacks face three consecutive left-handers so Chad Tracy will be out of the starting lineup the next three days.
    The rest gives the tendinitis in Tracy's knee a few days to heal, but it is doubtful he will be 100 percent until after the season.

Brandon Webb extended his scoreless-inning streak to 33 with his second straight shutout Saturday against the Nationals.
    Webb had his fourth 10-strikeout game of the season in another brilliant outing. He broke his own Diamondbacks record for consecutive scoreless innings tonight. He had 30 last year in a stretch that also contained back-to-back shutouts. Webb is fourth in the NL with a 2.77 ERA and second with 155 strikeouts.

MLB ERA

News from the 12th of August.
    Mark Reynolds went 3-for-4 with a homer and three RBI in a loss to the Nationals on Sunday.
    The homer was Reynolds' eighth of the season but just his first since July 18. The rookie had struggled some since a hot start, batting just .178 with four homers between June and July. He's back hitting again in August, however, going 12-for-28 with nine RBI. Reynolds is again looking like a fine option in NL-only formats.

Micah Owings struck out eight Nationals and gave up one run in 6 1/3 innings of work in a no-decision on Sunday.
    Owings departed with a 5-1 lead, but relievers Tony Pena and Doug Slaten combined to blow the lead in the eighth. Today's quality start was just the second in two months from Owings. However, he's pitched well enough of late to stay in the rotation for now.

MLB ERA

News from the 13th of August.
    Chad Tracy received a cortisone injection in his knee on Friday and was expected to get a third synthetic gel injection after Sunday's game.
    Tracy knee is reportedly feeling a little better, but the tendinitis will limit him the remainder of the season.

Carlos Quentin (hamstring) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson on Tuesday.
    The team says it doesn't have a timetable for Quentin's return from the disabled list. He is eligible to be activated from the DL on Friday.

MLB ERA

News from the 14th of August.
    Chris Young hit two homers in a losing effort Tuesday.
    He led off the game with a solo blast and then hit another solo shot in the fifth, two of the three hits he recorded on the night. Young has cranked 21 homers this year, but he's struck out 89 times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast