Thread: Escobar Extended

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays Escobar Extended

The Blue Jays have signed shortstop Yunel Escobar to an extension for the 2012 and 2013 seasons worth $10MM, according to the team's official Twitter page. The deal includes two club options of $5MM each for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Escobar, 28, was already under team control through 2013. The possible option years for '14 and '15 represent his first two years of free agency. The new deal will bring Escobar a significant pay bump as he will earn $2.9MM in 2011 after avoiding arbitration in January.

The Blue Jays acquired Escobar along with Jo-Jo Reyes from the Braves in July of 2010 for Tyler Pastornicky, Tim Collins and Alex Gonzalez. Since then, Escobar has hit .278/.350/.395 with twelve homers in 126 games for Toronto.
    Escobar has definitely rebounded from his slow start in '10 for Atlanta. Escobar is 28 and entering the prime of his career. Seems like a solid deal for the Jays!

Re: Escobar Extended

Love this move. I was a bit confused though, I thought Yunel was closer to free agency.

A solid defensive shortstop who is a good hitter is so rare, I can't believe his agent gave up 2 years of free agency.

AA does it again.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Escobar Extended

Yeah, thumbs up from this end.
    Aaron Hill may dissapear soon, Cuban at SS, Escobar at 2nd. Lind and Lawrie on the corners?!?!?!