Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread where I scoff at stupid facebook shares (no politics or religion)

Re: The thread where I scoff at stupid facebook shares (no politics or religion)

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Perhaps there is something to be learned from the picture if people do think it can fix it? I don't know, I guess I'm just approaching it from the perspective of somebody who has made mistakes and had a sincere apologetic response and intent to do what's best that can be done in response and view this as someone not giving a shit because, well it can't be fixed so my apology means shit.
    I don't know that it doesn't mean shit more than it doesn't mean it's a get out of free card. My brother has stolen things from me many times, and has apologized each time. I still care for him and help him and talk to him, but you can be sure as shit I lock up everything now. My trust in him will likely never be restored no matter how many times he apologizes.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Re: The thread where I scoff at stupid facebook shares (no politics or religion)

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Well, that's odd, I suppose. Apologies can't undo actions, they merely express sincere feelings and a desire to make right what you did wrong. Sure, people abuse it but that doesn't take away the intent and purpose of a sincere one.
    But there's a ton of factors as you alluded to: Frequency, tone, severity chief among them. I think the issue is which we're each coming at this: Yours is a belief that it's implying apologies are worthless, wheras mine is more of a it's teaching a lesson, that they aren't this make it all better card.

Because if there were a way to turn back time and undo the action we wouldn't need to use words to express sincere apologies when we can just undo it.
    Gotcha, I didn't realize you had meant undo literally at that point.

But if I come to you with a sincere apology and intent of reparing and you tell me to look at that broken plate and that my apology doesn't mean shit then you're still being a cynical jerk.

People make mistakes and I can comprehend someone being hurt by some bigger doozies where that intent doesn't mean much, but when you preach this as a general belief by sharing it directed at nothing in particular then it's too cynical, and that's my beef.
    in the most literal sense of the plate, sure. If you run over my dog while drunk, and I act like that, I don't think I'm being a cynical jerk at all. In that case your apology would mean shit to me. Which gets back to my point about things being too general with the quote. If it was phrased along the lines of "sometimes sorry won't open doors you closed" would it have a different meaning for you?

I'm not seeing how it's being preached as a all situation message. I'm not seeing it as telling wounded people not to take apologies, I see it as telling people who wound others to be careful about what they do.

If for example, I had a huge fight with a friend over something very hurtful I did, and went home to my mom, and she went through this exercise, wouldn't it not seem as a teaching moment more than anything?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

WTF is going on here...paging Dr. Phil.

I have a boring job is all I know and I like "arguing" with Leo.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I didn't diss Flaherty, Hammer did! I was far more annoyed with Randolph Johnstone, Tony Woemack, Jaret Wrong, and Glass Ass Carla Blowvano during that time period anyway.

Wow, did we acquire terrible players.
    I need a score card, I'm getting my Yankees fans mixed up.

My hug though was sincere.

Rookie ERA

I kind of like the debating/arguing/discussing...........depends on your perspective.

As to the original sentiment of sorry, forgiveness and the like, I consider myself for the most part a "let it go" (cue the over done Disney song) kind of person, however most incidents are like anything else in life on case by case basis.

I know for me I am usually much more forgiving when the transgression is directed at me unless truly grievous or habitual and I am done with hearing I'm sorry for the five thousandth time. When someone has truly, deeply and maliciously hurt someone I care about, it is everything I can do to stop myself from making a bonfire out of them.

In general I think the degree of willingness to be truly repentant and on the opposite side, truly forgive depends on the depth of the particular relationship. Sometimes forgiveness is actually more difficult with someone you deeply love because the wound is deeper when they have fucked up. Yet, it can be easy to dismiss people that offend you when they don't mean much to you.

I know it's cliche but actions do speak louder than words you can't expect someone to constantly forgive just because of an "I'm sorry" if your actions are proving otherwise.
    Last edited by Tobywan; 06-25-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Well, it was appreciated. I don't get any hugs any more.

Also, Hammer's the stoned one who doesn't have a shift key, so that helps.

Rookie ERA

If he's stoned, maybe he just can't find the shift key.

Friends don't let friends drink and use a keyboard.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said:

'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 year old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.'

So the doctor said: 'Ok and what do you want me to do?'

She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.'

She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.'

The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!'

'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be OK with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.'

The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point.

He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime is the same!

If you agree, please SHARE.

Together we can help save precious lives!

Love says, 'I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.' Abortion says, 'I sacrifice the other person for the good of myself.

What about this one Leo?

(no politics or religion)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed Jaret Wright's stint.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Mach blows this thread up into a huge debate just because I complain about someone telling me apologies are useless and you want me to bring up abortion?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast