Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giants 2011 Offseason

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants 2011 Offseason

The Giants signed right-hander Boof Bonser to a minor league deal, his agency, Reynolds Sports, announced on Twitter. Bonser has a 5.18 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 416 2/3 career innings and hasn't pitched at the Major League level since 2010. Bonser underwent Tommy John surgery early in the 2011 season and likely won't be ready to pitch for San Francisco until midway through the 2012 campaign. The Giants selected Bonser, now 30, with the 21st overall pick of the 2000 draft.
    Giants are all about bringing their former draft picks back this offseason.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am still hoping that Maicer Izturis becomes available.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tim Lincecum's agent, Rick Thurman, told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News on Wednesday that he hasn't spoken with the Giants in over a month.
    Talks haven't progressed since the Winter Meetings in Dallas last month and Thurman told Baggarly via text message that he is "just preparing his arbitration brief." Lincecum remains under team control through 2013, but could make as much as $18-20 million through the arbitration process this winter. The Giants would prefer a four-year deal, buying out his first two years of free agency, while Lincecum's reps appear to be focusing on a one- or two-year deal. Talks should ramp up after arbitration figures are exchanged next week.

Giants' vice president Bobby Evans said Wednesday that he has had "very healthy" and "ongoing" dialogue with the representatives for Matt Cain about a contract extension.
    Cain is already under contract for $15 million in 2012, but he can become a free agent next offseason. "I’m an optimist by nature so you can pretty well gather we’ll do everything we can with all parties to come to agreeable terms," said Evans. "They’ve been very responsive. "The Giants are also making an effort to lock up ace right-hander Tim Lincecum, though he remains under team control through 2013.
    No, no. You have to get Vogelsong extended unnecessarily first! Kidding aside, I am glad to read that the Cain camp is showing some signs of life unlike the Lincecum camp.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's being reported that the Red Sox need to shed some payroll in order to sign Roy Oswalt. Perhaps the Giants can make a deal to get Scutaro. I'm just not comfortable going into the season basically handing Crawford the starting SS job. The Red Sox have Aviles could step in and play SS if he is indeed traded.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants avoided arbitration with Pagan by signing a one year deal worth $4.85 million. He was projected to make $4.7 through arbitration.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Casilla signed a one year deal worth $2.2 million avoiding arbitration. Cabrera signed a $6 million, one year deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants and RHP Sergio Romo avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract.
    Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Romo will receive $1.575 million, which is slightly above the midpoint of what the two sides proposed. The stellar setup man posted a 1.50 ERA and 70/5 K/BB ratio across 48 innings last season. He'll pitch the eighth inning for the Giants again in 2012 and could wind up with save chances if Brian Wilson's elbow issues crop up again.
    I sure hope Bochy uses him more effectively this season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It's being reported that the Red Sox need to shed some payroll in order to sign Roy Oswalt. Perhaps the Giants can make a deal to get Scutaro. I'm just not comfortable going into the season basically handing Crawford the starting SS job. The Red Sox have Aviles could step in and play SS if he is indeed traded.
    Rockies got him instead

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants have offered Tim Lincecum a two-year, $40MM contract and the pitcher's representatives have countered with a two-year, $44MM offer, reports Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). The small gap between the two offers leads Brown to believe that an agreement will be reached.

Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reported yesterday that "significant progress" had been made between the two sides since they filed their arbitration figures (Lincecum for $21.5MM, the Giants for $17MM). A two-year contract would cover both of Lincecum's remaining arbitration years and also fit Lincecum's stated preference for short-term deals, though the Giants had also explored an eight-year extension with the two-time Cy Young Award winner earlier this winter.
    Split the difference and move on to more pressing matters like Cain!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants signed RHP Clay Hensley to a one-year, $750,000 contract.
    The deal also carries $300,000 worth of performance-based incentives. Hensley posted a disappointing 5.19 ERA and 46/30 K/BB ratio in 67 2/3 innings last season for the Fish.
    Really not sure where he fits on this team and why he got a Major League deal. Our bullpen and rotation are full.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Apparently it's not a guaranteed contract which is good news.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants have agreed to sign free agent infielder Ryan Theriot, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports on Twitter. The Beverly Hills Sports Council client obtains a one-year deal worth $1.25MM that includes $750K in incentives.

Theriot spent the 2011 season playing shortstop and second base for the Cardinals, who non-tendered him in December. At the plate, the 32-year-old posted a .271/.321/.342 line in 483 plate appearances. He will join middle infielders Freddy Sanchez, Brandon Crawford and Emmanuel Burriss in San Francisco, where he'll also be reunited with former Cubs teammate Mike Fontenot. Theriot owns a .282/.344/.353 line in seven MLB seasons.
    Not a terrible signing though Theriot sucks at SS. At least he provides competition for Crawford which is what I have wanted all along. Theriot will likely platoon with Crawford who is a lefty. Theriot hits lefties well. Crawford will also likely be late inning replacement for Theriot when Theriot does start. Plus Theriot was a college teammate of Mike Fontenot so there should be some good stories told in the clubhouse.

In other news, Giants are looking at bringing in Xavier Nady on a minor league deal. Why not?

Rookie ERA

Aaaaah, Theriot and Fontenot back together again…………guess that’s another incentive for me to spend some early am’s watching Marlins V Giants this season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Players the Giants should consider this offseason: (early edition)
    Carlos Beltran
    Jose Reyes
    Jimmy Rollins
    Rafael Furcal
    Coco Crisp
    BJ Upton
    Maicer Izturis
    Jason Kubel
    Logan Morrison
    Lorenzo Cain
    Giants got none of these guys. Instead of Cain, they got Cabrera. Pagan and Cabrera should add the element of speed I was asking for but I just didn't like trading for guys who will be free agents after the season. They should hopefully combine for 60+ SB. We still don't have a true leadoff man but Pagan will have to do. Huff apparently seems stoked about Belt and Pill fighting him from day one for the 1B job. Here's my best guess at the 25 man roster as of today.

1. Pagan
    2. Sanchez
    3. Posey
    4. Sandoval
    5. Cabrera
    6. Huff
    7. Theriot
    8. Nate

Bench- Pill, Fontenot, Stewart, Crawford, Burriss

1. Lincecum
    2. Cain
    3. Bumgarner
    4. Vogelsong
    5. Zito

Bullpen- Romo, Lopez, Affeldt, Hensley, Casilla, Mota, Wilson

I have a feeling Belt will start the year out in AAA unless he tears the cover off the ball while keeping his plate discipline. I think Stewart earns the backup catching role til Hector Sanchez is ready. I would love to see Sanchez earn the spot out of ST but don't see it happening. Stewart's defense is far superior to Whiteside's who I don't see making the squad. Not a lot of OF depth but Pill plays the OF as long as 1B, 3B and some 2B. If he could turn into a Michael Cuddyer type, that would be great but he's no young pup. He will be 28 next year. Burriss will have to be learn some OF if he wants to stick. That's the roster as I see it now. I am hoping for something better come Opening Day!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

SF Giants: Why Brian Sabean didn’t re-sign Carlos Beltran | San Francisco Giants: The Splash | an SFGate.com blog

Sabean gives some of the lamest excuses for his shortcomings. No one could juggle Beltran, Huff and Belt? Giants couldn't afford to lose Affeldt? Cabrera and Pagan were top trade targets even though they do nothing for the future of this team? I can't believe he still has a job!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast