Thread: The Kid: The Seattle Point of View.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    On one meaningless day in 1989, a scrawny teenager with a backwards baseball cap took the first pitch he saw for a line drive home run to right field. The reason why I say its meaningless is because the Mariners were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of Major League Baseball. It comes to find out that teenager turned out to be the first mega superstar that the Mariners ever seen. His name you ask? Ken Griffey Jr. is the name. I was nine years old, when he got called up to the majors. He had it all: the natural talent, the personality, his hall-of-fame father in the same dugout. How to explain the time of the greatest athlete to play sports in Seattle by far? Here goes the best way I can explain it.

During the early part of his career, quite frankly, the damn Mariners sucked. Unlike the previous 12 years of existence, we had something to brag about. This “five tool” freak of nature was setting records one after one in M’s history. This was before Edgar Martinez and Co. were coming into their own. As the 1990’s came to pass, Junior was considered a lock to break Hank Aaron’s home run record. The question lingered though, would Seattle be able to see them long enough for him to make a legit run. Let’s face it, the Kingdome was a horrible place to watch baseball in. Fans were growing tired of perennial losing. Owners were losing lots of money and Tampa Bay was trying to gain control of our beloved M’s. Okay, so it wasn’t the whole town’s point of view. They were the ultimate afterthought of the town. In 1994, the Kingdome’s roof crashed down and need to go through extensive repairs just to stay standing. Word increasingly spread out with rumors stating that the M’s were going to become the Tampa Bay Mariners. Similar to the Sonics situation of present day, only a miracle could keep the M’s in town.

The Miracle was answered in 1995, while it didn’t seem that way, Griffey suffered his first major injury when he shattered his wrist while making an incredible catch against the right centerfield wall. It seemed like the final nail in the coffin. Somehow, someway the M’s kept afloat the best way they could. In August, they were thirteen games back of the then led Bill “fire” Bavasi- California Angels. What Griffey did in his return, words can’t describe. From hitting clutch homeruns to stealing bases to making dazzling catches, Junior tried to do everything he could to engerize this team and make a run at the playoffs. His teammates followed his energy and caught the Angels late in the year. I remember being glued to the TV or Radio listening to Neihaus and Henderson calling the games. Even my non-sports watching mother, tuned into the M’s games to watch with me. The day of the one-game playoff, The retreat we were at, paused to watch that whole game. A good way to describe it would be imagining Hoosiers before the big game. The town just shut down completely. Everyone could tell you where they were when Griffey scored from first in the 95 ALDS. After that season, it was announced that the Mariners got new ownership and would be able to keep the team in Seattle. Comes to find out its only the beginning of what was to come of the new hero of Seattle.

After that faithful, Griffey became an absolute idol of the town. Everyone was wearing a Griffey #24 jersey with a backwards cap. What ever he did or said, we followed. Everyone wanted to play baseball, he was our idol. His impact turned Seattle to the fans they are today. When Safeco Field was going to be built, he was the main reason why. Even through all the bickering he made about how he wanted to go home or didn’t like the way the stadium was. He was so good to us that when he made his return to Safeco Field last year, the place sold out and was rocking. Just like old times. What wasn’t natural was when he hit his 600th homerun on Monday. Every major newspaper, t.v., and radio station celebrated his career like he never left. Its no secret that Jr wants to come back here. We need to have his presence in the town again, no more negativity, no more moody times. With the Sonics close to leaving town and the Mariners stuck in netural for the last five years, we need our hero back. That’s you Ken Griffey Jr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Kid: The Seattle Point of View.-img324-52-jpg  
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 09-07-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: The Kid: The Seattle Point of View.

I like it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

From an accuracy standpoint, Griffey wanting to comeback may be mis-interpreted. He has not once requested a trade and has recently said (ie this year) his desire to remain with the Reds. He did say he would like to retire as a Mariner, but that could simply be a one day contract. I am not saying he doesn't want to go back to the Mariners, I just think you are making a leap in that assumption as there is contradicting quotes out there.

Frankly, unless he was planning for one more season or a half a season through trade, I don't see him moving to the west coast. His family is in Florida and his children are older and he attempts to spend as much time with them as possible.

Good article though man.

MLB ERA

i think this is a great article man. despite the fact that i agree with mission, griffey will probably not go back to Seattle, your perspective of the whole situation is unique, and your writing is excellent. i love how you gave both good analysis (the word "neutral" is the PERFECT word to describe the mariners the last few years) and one-of-a-kind anecdotes. great job man, post that shit
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They prolly celebrated ARods 500th more than New York.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No, most of Seattle hates AROD to this very day.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    No, most of Seattle hates AROD to this very day.
    I don't get how you hate A-Rod more than Griffey. Griffey was still under contract with the Mariners and said that he wouldn't re-sign with them so he forced his way out of Seattle. He blasted Gillick, Piniella, his teammates, etc. He said he would accept a trade to the Mets, Braves and Reds and when the Mets put together a nice deal and Gillick accepted, Griffey blocked it. Same with Atlanta. So it was only the Reds who were left that he would accept a trade to. Result: the Mariners got stuck with trading for Mike Cameron and a pile of garbage. The A-Rod deal shouldn't bother you because you would have taken that contract too if you were him, plus he played out his contract in Seattle and was a free agent. Not Griffey.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

All AROD did was say he wanted to play for a winner and went to worst team in the ML at the time in Texas. While Griffey did force himself out of Seattle, Without him we wouldnt have the damn M's as far as I'm concerned.

Let it be on record, I'm not one of those people that hate AROD.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And its ironic that he came back after reading this article i wrote.