Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Long-Term Look: 2004's Free Agent Third Basemen

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I sort of see what you are saying and I too don't like to but into defensive stats. But you can easily judge a player by watching him. I watch any and every game I possibly can, even if its a Tampa Bay vs KC game. Defense is a huge part of this game and it just seems like it is over looked way too much. And when people say it only saves 10 runs or one game over enetire year is absolutely false. Defense stops rallies and helps pitchers get out of their jams every damn day. If you watch the games and see how these guys play defense, it is not hard to argue these points. Like in the case if Castilla, people on the other forum said that he is washed up, old, and can't play an effective third. But if you watch him play, you can clearly say he still has great range and an above average arm. Same with Vizquel. Vizquel has exceeded everyone's expectations, except mine, in this forum. Just watch the players and you can clearly see who can do what is all I'm saying.

MLB ERA
    When Saber said the thing about ten runs or one game, he was moreso referring to the defensive differences among those guys, I believe. The majority of them are on the same rough defensive level. Even comparing the likely best defender (Adrian Beltre) with the absolute worst (Alex Gonzalez) isn't going to make such a difference in defensive skill levels as to accomodate for a season being saved or something.

The only way to judge IS to watch them, I can definitely agree with that, but the vast majority of games can only be seen by a small amount of people. So many games get blacked out, so many are not offered on any kind of cable program/package, that defensive judging proves difficult even if you can see the players play, because seeing all the players play is impossible.

That would also be another factor in defense probably not being argued too much; even the best scouts and analysts only see a small sample size of games for most players, and them judging their defense on say, 10% of their games in a season is pretty absurd.

I hate Castilla offensively, but I definitely agree that he is still at a good level defensively. The range is deteriorating a little, and so is the arm, but he's a nice upgrade over Tony Batista (who was a little underrated by most people defensively, I have to say).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I can agree with that. And what the hell is Alex Gonzalez doing playing third? He should be an utility infielder for the Royals.

MLB ERA
    Addendum:

Geoff Blum
    San Diego Padres
    Contract- $575,000 for 2004
    What he is- A guy who walks just a bit, and hits for a just a bit of power, enough to make him valuable if he hits for a good average. He did that in 2002, and failed to do that for the past two seasons. Since he's a Berkeley grad, I blame all the pot smoking he must do.
    What he will be- He's 32. Don't pay him anything, keep him if he's hot, and dump his ass if he's not.
    Mitigating circumstances- He's channelling 2002 right now, putting up a .299/.357/.449 line in a big pitcher's park. As long as you don't ever think it's sustainable, it's a nice thing to have around.

Desi Relaford
    Colorado Rockies
    Contract- $950,000 in 2004
    What he is- Slap hitter, no power. Are you shocked? These guys are freaking everywhere.
    What he will be- Older. Swap him with Alex Gonzalez and any other all-glove, no-hit infielder and I can't tell the damn difference.
    Mitigating circumstances-He's hitting .314/.387/.429, about evenly split between home and away? He learned something? He got lucky? He took hitting lessons from Tom Emanski's video, endorsed by baseball superstar Fred McGriff?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Term Look: 2004's Free Agent Third Basemen

loljosevalentin
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 02-02-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12