Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees get Ichiro?!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Yankees get Ichiro?!

Per MLBTR.com
    The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki and cash considerations from the Mariners in exchange right-handers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar, according to Jack Curry of the YES Network (on Twitter). The Mariners have confirmed the trade via press release, and Joel Sherman of the New York Post adds that the Yankees are paying just over $2MM of Ichiro's salary (on Twitter).

The 38-year-old Ichiro has never known life outside of Seattle in the Major Leagues, but will jump from a last place team to a first place team as a result of the transaction. The two-time batting champion's production has tapered off considerably in recent years, and he's hitting just .261/.288/.353 this season. A move from the spacious Safeco Field to Yankee Stadium could very well help boost his offensive production, however.

Ichiro, who is a free agent following the 2012 season, is owed roughly $6.7MM of his $17MM salary, meaning the Mariners are including somewhere around $4.5MM to facilitate the deal. Baseball's new collective bargaining agreement prevents teams from acquiring compensatory draft picks for players who didn't spend the entirety of the season on their roster. In other words, Ichiro is strictly a rental.

The Yankees' interest likely picked up when Brett Gardner suffered another setback in his rehab. Because Ichiro has 10-and-5 rights, he had the chance to veto this trade, but apparently elected to approve the move. Mitchell is on the Yankees' 40-man roster, but Farquhar is not, which means the Mariners will not have to make a corresponding move.

Mitchell, 25, has appeared in four games for the Yankees this season, pitching to a 3.86 ERA in 4 2/3 innings. In 85 2/3 career Triple-A innings, he has a 3.81 ERA with a 6.8 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9. The Yankees selected him out of Clemson University in the 10th round of the 2008 draft.

The 25-year-old Farquhar was taken just 11 picks earlier in the same draft, by the Blue Jays. He spent time in the Jays and Athletics organizations this season, and was claimed off waivers by the Yankees on June 26 after the A's designated him for assignment. Farquhar owns a 4.65 ERA in 69 2/3 Triple-A innings, where he's posted a 7.6 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9.
    It's being reported on MLB Network as well. Ichiro is really struggling this season but I think would look good batting either 8th or 9th for the Yankees. He still plays good defense and can steal bases. Strange the Mariners asked for more pitching in return but I guess you can never have too much of it. Big day in baseball before the trade deadline! Never thought I would see Ichiro in a different uniform.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 07-23-2012 at 06:46 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Yankees get Ichiro?!

Wonder what the Mariner fan response is?

Bombshell. At least he replaces a few of the things Gardner brought. If there's anything left offensively, perhaps a winning environment and a Swisher practical joke will spark him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Wonder what the Mariner fan response is?
    We'll find out tonight since the Yankees play in Seattle tonight. I expect a standing ovation.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

They must be desperate after getting swept this weekend.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If thats the case, I wonder what Boston is gonna do.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm torn about the deal. But it had to be done.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    If thats the case, I wonder what Boston is gonna do.
    Eat more chicken and drink more beer.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jon Lester likes where your head is at.

Back to topic. Can we agree that Ichiro hasn't had a very good season, and that these two players sadly are all that were required to pick him up?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think anyone would deny that

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

His value to Seattle fan is far more valuable that his baseball trade value. I think he will have an impact for the empire simply with the defense in RF. He just wasn't going to net much.

It's still surprising.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Personally I'm shocked it actually happened with Japanese ownership. I was sure he'd get resigned for 4 years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ichiro of course got a hit in his first Yankee AB. He is 1-2 with a SB so far.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Crazy stat on MLB tonight.

The Yankees batted Ichiro 8th tonight because he has the lowest OBP in the lineup. Russel Martin is batting below .200 but had a .290 OBP higher than ichiros .288

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ichiro is now the 5th former Mariner to be on this team joining Arod, Ibanez, Garcia, Soriano and the great Pineda

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

May the A's kick their asses like when they were in Seattle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast