Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Johan to the Mets?

MLB ERA

Johan to the Mets?

For 4 prospects (#s 2, 3, 4, & 7 according to Baseball America). Here is a story: Twins agree to deal Santana to Mets for prospects - USATODAY.com
    Comments?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Johan to the Mets?

Not as good of a deal that the Yankees were offering isn't it?

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Its a done deal. Pending getting Santana signed to a long term deal. At least he did not go to the Yankees or Red Soxs where we would have to face him.

Looking at the deal so far I dont mind it. Humber I believe steps right into our rotation. Gomez will be our starting centerfielder. Guerra and Mulvey will continue to develop in the minors. Guerra could be very very good. 66k's in 89 innings pitched in a ball. He is only 18 years old.

The only thing I dont like is why all the pitching?!! How about hitting prospects at positions we need. Catcher and SS to name two spots. But if Liriano can be ready in the first month of the season as expected and can be the ace of the staff we are still in a good spot pitching wise. Gomez better produce being a five tool player!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Now that the shock has actually started setting in, The Mets have their stopper in the rotation. The Mets may be the early favorite to win the NL pennant.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They already had their stopper: Pedro Martinez.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

He is not that reliable anymore. Pedro is on the downward side of his career. Johan will be their #1. If he is not, there is something seriously wrong with the Mets.

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    The only thing I dont like is why all the pitching?!! How about hitting prospects at positions we need. Catcher and SS to name two spots. But if Liriano can be ready in the first month of the season as expected and can be the ace of the staff we are still in a good spot pitching wise. Gomez better produce being a five tool player!
    Catcher? Why would you need another catcher when you have Joe Mauer, granted he has trouble staying healthy but I believe thats one of the positions that should be the least of the Twins concerns and you can never have too much pitching especially when dealing with prospects being that you never know which will/won't develop.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

my thinking is this mauer knees are not the best. Also a move to 3rd base may be in order sooner rather than later. So a top catching spec is something we need to look at.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I've got one thing to say:

**** you Carl Pohlad.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Totally understand your frustrations Lynch. And I cant say that I dont blame you at all!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see Carlos Gomez being the possible 30-30 many experts are predicting he will be. He hasn't shown to have a lot of power in the minors or anywhere else. I do like the Twins getting a good defensive CF in Gomez to replace Hunter. Gomez could be the leadoff man in 08. I do like them getting more pitching too. In that division with the Indians and Tigers, the Twins will have to rely on more pitching.

The Mets get their ace and will make everyone in that rotation better. He also reunites with Castillo which could help. The Mets now have two dominant lefties with Perez getting closer to his 2004 form. Santana, Pedro, Perez, Maine and El Duque/Pelfrey makes for the best rotation in the East.

MLB ERA

The Mets must win this year or the trade will go down as another in a long line of bad deals for them.
    Johan should play "hardball" with the Mets and demand something like 6 years $180M or he'll not agree to the deal.
    The Twins have improved their offense this offseason, but their pitching is weaker, at least their starting staff is. As a long-time fan, I will not give up on my team, but I am a bit disappointed in this deal. They should have held out for Fernando Martinez and Mike Pelfrey to go with Gomez and Guerra.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Best case scenario:
    Gomez hits .285 with 15 HRs, steals 40/45 bases
    Guerra, Mulvey, and Humber fill the #2, 3, and 5 rotation spots
    ...FOR THE BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALL
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

If your scenario comes true, I'll take the deal, browntown. Gomez would score about 130 runs a season and the pitchers would win between 13 and 18 games a season each.
    I'm not sure the Twins are done dealing this off-season. They still need a 3B and Inge is available for the right deal. Maybe Mulvey & Humber for him and a prospect? That would make this deal a bit more acceptible

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Best case scenario:
    Gomez hits .285 with 15 HRs, steals 40/45 bases
    Guerra, Mulvey, and Humber fill the #2, 3, and 5 rotation spots
    ...FOR THE BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALL
    When did the Padres trade Jake?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732