Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers get some Rays Magic

Rookie ERA

Dodgers get some Rays Magic

Andrew Friedman is the new president of baseball operations for the Dodgers, press conference tomorrow.

Andrew Friedman

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dodgers get some Rays Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    Andrew Friedman is the new president of baseball operations for the Dodgers, press conference tomorrow.
    So does that mean he is the de facto GM of the Dodgers, like how Theo Epstein is the de facto GM of the Cubs?

Rookie ERA

I would have to lean toward....yes.....word on our end is Colletti will stay on as the head advisor to Kasten. It appears there is a movement to eliminate the broad title of GM, as President does have a more responsible ring to it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But reports say de facto GM Friedman will hire a GM to be his de facto Assistant GM.

Rookie ERA

Technically it's a promotion for Friedman as his official title here was Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, so I would say as President he would get an assistant since he had one here as the Vice.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Friedman confirming in the press conference that Mattingly will return and Josh Byrnes being rumored to be the frontrunner for GM ruined my boner today.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Projected Opening Day Bullpen: J.P. Howell, Chris Hatcher, Joel Peralta, Sergio Santos, Paco Rodriguez, Dustin McGowan, Juan Nicasio

Sigh...I better pray Friedman's Tampa Bay shit is better at dumpster diving than Ned Colletti was.

Rookie ERA

Technically, the only Rays' "dregs" in the bull pen you listed that Friedman brought over is Peralta. LA got Howell as a free agent in 2013 and he has been useful if you don't count the NLDS meltdown, he isn't the first to player to flake during the postseason. Hopefully, his groin issue won't return.

Peralta has slowly declined, he was ill for a brief time last season and he did just turn 39 so it remains to be seen what he's got left. The only difference is LA has paid much more for JP's services and slightly less for Joel's than the Rays. Perhaps wait until at least a month or two into the season before harrumphing Andrew's soft spot for TB "trash". Hopefully, the entire Dodgers' pitching staff/team doesn't live and die because of two relievers.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That was poor choice of words on my behalf. By Tampa Bay shit, I meant whatever method he used while he was with Tampa Bay to find bargains for his bullpen, and not so much to mean that the guys he brings in are shit. That being said, I'm skeptical at best about trading young Dominguez for old Peralta, at worst that was a Ned Colletti-esque move. At least the only thing that Howell cost was money, and I suppose he's earned one more year.

Rookie ERA

Mofo, I understand the skepticism, the Rays have been on both sides of the trash or treasure cast-off pile. We (Rays fans collectively) questioned Peralta for years, he was 35 when he got here, each season you didn't know what you were going to get. Aging's a bitch, trust me, I know. I think the bigger telltale sign will be what kind of relationship Friedman has with the ownership group and the people they put in place around him. It was a unique working situation here, no formal contract, no everyday micro managing from the top, his assistants were more co-workers than employees. If that part is similar in LA plus an open wallet, I can't see that he couldn't make that team into a fans' dream come true. Besides it's not like they haven't had a taste of the post season recently even before he got there.

The hardest part about Howell is getting past the flailing.

So, by your term of "shit" you meant my term of "magic"??? Ha ha. I didn't really take offense, dumpster diving is pretty much what the Rays have always had to do with no money and a vast amount of blue seats. I know patience isn't one of your strong suits but give him some time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'm going to refer to his philosophy as his Tampa Bay shit rather than Rays Magic. That way, it's ambiguous so it doesn't give the impression that I got my hopes up if the plan blows up in his face.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    ....so it doesn't give the impression that I got my hopes up.....
    Oh, heaven forbid!

Gotta say though I for one am getting a little tired of orange and red, we need more blue hoisting the trophies.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think the bigger telltale sign will be what kind of relationship Friedman has with the ownership group and the people they put in place around him. It was a unique working situation here, no formal contract, no everyday micro managing from the top, his assistants were more co-workers than employees. If that part is similar in LA plus an open wallet, I can't see that he couldn't make that team into a fans' dream come true. Besides it's not like they haven't had a taste of the post season recently even before he got there.

Well, the owners did give him a big enough paycheck for him to buy a $6 million home, while giving Colletti the Milton Waddams treatment by having him move down to the janitor's room (and then to the broadcast booth) and re-assigned the remaining Colletti loyalists to serve as Stan Kasten's ball washers.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh, heaven forbid!

Gotta say though I for one am getting a little tired of orange and red, we need more blue hoisting the trophies.
    Knowing my luck, even the Marlins and their stupid ocular migraine colors will hoist a third trophy before Dodger blue ever will.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Technically, the only Rays' "dregs" in the bull pen you listed that Friedman brought over is Peralta. LA got Howell as a free agent in 2013 and he has been useful if you don't count the NLDS meltdown, he isn't the first to player to flake during the postseason. Hopefully, his groin issue won't return.

Peralta has slowly declined, he was ill for a brief time last season and he did just turn 39 so it remains to be seen what he's got left. The only difference is LA has paid much more for JP's services and slightly less for Joel's than the Rays. Perhaps wait until at least a month or two into the season before harrumphing Andrew's soft spot for TB "trash". Hopefully, the entire Dodgers' pitching staff/team doesn't live and die because of two relievers.

It's two games into the season, and I'm fucking pissed already. He was brought in to fix the pen and defense, and both areas look even worse than they were under Colletti. Add in the fact that Mattingly is the same dipshit who thought Brandon League was closer material has now decided Chris Hatcher is the closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast