Thread: Royals lock up home grown Perez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Royals lock up home grown Perez

Royals signed C Salvador Perez to a five-year contract extension.
    The contract also includes three club options which could keep him with the club through 2019. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he'll make $7 million over the first five years and could earn a maximum of $26.75 million if he reaches all incentives over the eight years. Perez made his major league debut last August and batted .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances. The 21-year-old backstop wouldn't have been arbitration-eligible until after 2014 or free agency until after 2017. There's obviously some risk involved with locking up a player with so little major league experience, but Perez could prove to be a major bargain if he becomes a productive everyday catcher in the long run.
    Very risky move here by the Royals. Catchers are always a risk and Perez only has 158 PA under his belt. We have seen catchers like Carlos Santana and Buster Posey miss a chunk of time by getting hurt at the plate. I really hope Perez stays healthy and the Royals get a steal here. I liked what I saw of him last year but really didn't see that much of him. One thing is for sure now, Perez is the future behind the plate.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Royals lock up home grown Perez

Perez left today's game with a knee injury. I truly hope it's not serious!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
    Tough break for the 21-year-old backstop, who injured the knee during warm-ups on Tuesday. No word yet on how long he'll be sidelined, but Brayan Pena figures to spend the first few weeks of season as the Royals' starting catcher.
    Damn!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Perez is now out 12-14 weeks. Really blow to the Royals. Could we see them sign Pudge now?