Thread: Frenchy gets extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Frenchy gets extension

The Royals have signed outfielder Jeff Francoeur to a two-year extension, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). Terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed.

The Royals and Francoeur had a $4MM mutual option for 2012, so this deal buys that out and locks up Francoeur through the 2013 season. The 27-year-old right fielder, a one-time blue-chip prospect, signed with Kansas City in December after he was traded twice in less than two years, going from the Braves to the Mets to the Rangers.

Francoeur was mentioned prominently in trade rumors prior to last month's deadline, but he remained in Kansas City, where he is enjoying a modest renaissance from his nadir in New York. A career .269/.312/.430 hitter, Frenchy has been a bit better than that in 2011, hitting .278/.328/.465.

Francoeur and Royals GM Dayton Moore have always had a strong relationship, going back to their time together in the Braves organization, according to Knobler (Twitter link). Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports first reported last month that a possible extension was in the works.
    It's weird to think Francoeur is only 27 considering this is his 7th season but he has done better this year and is on pace to set a career high in OPS outside of his rookie year where he played only 70 games. Frenchy still has a cannon but still doesn't know how to draw a walk for shit. He is entering his prime so maybe something will click for the Royals sake. I'm sure he will not get paid anything ridiculous.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Frenchy gets extension

2 years for 13.5 million

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/18...-two-year.html

Almost 7 mill a year? Cash money, Frenchy.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's their highest paid player now, right? OR close to it? Never thought that would happen. I doubt he thought that would happen too.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looks like I was wrong, the Royals DID pay him a ridiculous amount. I was thinking somewhere around $4 million/year but $7 million? That's just too much for a fringe player.