Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Greinke?

Banned
    Rookie ERA

Would you trade Greinke?

It's going to get talked about this winter. Would you trade him? I don't think the Royals have a chance of being any good in 2011. And then you've only got him for one more year after that. I'd look to trade him if you can get the right deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Would you trade Greinke?

If I were the Royals I would definitely have to consider it. Even Greinke has come out and said that he sees this team turning a corner but is not likely to be part of the success when the do. With the free agent market being so weak after Cliff Lee, I think the Royals would be fools not to dangle him out there. And because you would have Greinke for two years, I would except nothing less than two top prospects and a MLB ready player. Plus it would save them some money to add more pieces to the puzzle.

All that said, the Royals only have close to $40 million committed to next season and that could change if they decide to let some guys go. That leaves them a little over $20 million to play with to reach their payroll total for this season. With the right moves, they could make some noise in the Central. They definitely need to add some protection for Greinke in that rotation and get some thump in that lineup. If I were the Royals, I would try to get guys like Derek Lee and Juan Uribe and take fliers on Brad Penny, Rich Harden and Aaron Harang.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 10-15-2010 at 04:58 PM.

MLB ERA

LTR I love the attempt but its still the F'ing Royals were talking about here. They couldnt find water if they fell out of the boat in terms of free agents. Those free agents would quickly turn into Gil Meche, Jose Guillen, and Willy Bloomquist again.

The only team WORSE than the Royals at the free agent market is the Pittsburgh Pirates.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA

This thread is what everyone means when they say baseball is ****ed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    LTR I love the attempt but its still the F'ing Royals were talking about here. They couldnt find water if they fell out of the boat in terms of free agents. Those free agents would quickly turn into Gil Meche, Jose Guillen, and Willy Bloomquist again.

The only team WORSE than the Royals at the free agent market is the Pittsburgh Pirates.
    Gil Meche did well until he was injured. He didn't deserve the contract he got but teams like the Royals have to overpay for players to come there. I think if the Royals picked up some good position guys to go along with some pitching that the Royals could make some noise and at least bring more fans to the game. No more Ankiel's. Real solid position guys.

MLB ERA

With some of the kids coming up in the Royals' system, the team could become a very good one rather quickly. I think the team management has to do what it can to get Greinke on the same page as they are.
    This said, Greinke could bring quite a haul of talent to the Royals.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If I'm the Royals right now with all the money coming off the books, I would add two years to his contract just so he could be part of the youth movement there.

MLB ERA

He would have to agree to the contract extension. He has said that he is not satisfied with the speed that the Royals are moving. Its going to take quite a bit persuading to get him to change his mind, at least that is the public view.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Greinke does see that the future is bright though. I think the Royals could sell him on two more years around $16-17 million a year if these prospects continue to get closer to the bigs

MLB ERA

It is going to be expensive to get him to buy into the future plan, IMO.
    By the way, Buster Olney has a good blog about Greinke at ESPN.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So 1/3 of the teams have the goods to get Zach, and could use him.
    This is why Kansas needs to try and keep him, he is a talent that everyone could use. You have the opportunity to keep him, so why not.

MLB ERA

If I am the Reds I find someone who likes Alonso and is willing to send additional prospects to KC (dont think KC needs Alonso) and package together a some of our excess guys like Francisco, Leake, etc that we simply dont have room for and go for Greinke in a heartbeat.

This October showed me that while Chapman may become an ace you can't just assume he is. You HAVE to have that hammer in October if you want to go deep. Volquez, Cueto, and Homer is a great middle of the rotation for the regular season but its seriously lacking come October when you are facing nothing but #1 and #2 caliber starters.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm sure KC could use Alonso.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I'm sure KC could use Alonso.
    I heard from another site they posted on that KC is pretty full on the 1b/DH types. Dunno who they would value more Alonso or guys like Moustakas, Hosmer, etc.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alonso's been playing LF right? Pretty sure Moustakas is a 3b so Alonso wouldn't be fighting for playing time there either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast