Thread: Astros Don't Want Berkman Back

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Astros Astros Don't Want Berkman Back

The Astros will not make an attempt to bring Lance Berkman back to Houston this offseason, reports Mark Berman of FOX 26. Here's what GM Ed Wade had to say...

"I heard from (Berkman's agent) Mike Moye and he inquired about whether we had interest in bringing Lance back and I was candid with him and told him it didn't fit for us," said Wade. "As much as we love and respect Lance and what he's done for our organization, We had these internal conversations in July when we made the decision to go ahead and move him."

Berkman, 35 in February, spent parts of 12 seasons in Houston, hitting .296/.410/.549 with five All Star appearances and four top five finishes in the MVP voting. The Astros traded him to the Yankees for a pair of minor leagues at the trade deadline, and they declined his 2011 option a week or so ago.
    A smart move by the Astros but the Astros do need a first baseman to platoon with Bret Wallace. Astros need to move on from Berkman so I'm glad Wade came out and said no. Berkman will no doubt find a job and make his money but the it shouldn't be Houston's money. They will try their best to trade Carlos Lee this offseason and really kick the tires on rebuilding.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Re: Astros Don't Want Berkman Back

I also agree this is a smart move by the Astros. I do understand that Berkman is kind of an icon of the Astros, but his skills at the plate have really gone down over the past year. There should be another cheaper viable option for them to pursue this off season.

Rookie ERA

The Astros will not make an attempt to bring Lance Berkman back to Houston this offseason..
    Duh?? What? Did someone have to write an article for that one delusional fan that thought they might?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With Brett Wallace struggling and the fact that he would be cheap and not cost a draft pick, fans did think he would come back.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

With the amount of 1B options on the market this off season someone is going to get Berkman at a pretty cheap price. This could be a preety good pick up if he turns out to be anywhere near his all star year player which I doubt or it could be a disaster getting a guy that could have chronic back and leg problems.