Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Willy Mo traded for Bronson Arroyo (Confirmed)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Willy Mo traded for Bronson Arroyo (Confirmed)

per rotoworld:

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility. Mar. 19 - 4:34 pm et

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I know scouts have been watching Arroyo also. With Hatteberg getting a lot of attention and us knowing that Narron would start him, Dunn could go to LF and Pena could be traded. If this has to happen to get Arroyo, would you guys like it?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Red Sox sign Gonzalez, may deal for Pena
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 42 minutes ago

Free agent Juan Gonzalez has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Red Sox, but the Sox's quest to add power might not end there.

The team also is talking to the Reds about a trade for outfielder Wily Mo Pena, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Reds, in desperate need of starting pitching, could be targeting Red Sox right-hander Bronson Arroyo. One of their top scouts, Gene Bennett, watched Arroyo pitch against the Orioles on Sunday.

The Orioles, in need of a left fielder, are also among the teams pursuing Pena. The Cubs, too, are believed to have shown interest, but it is doubtful the Reds would trade Pena within their division. The Royals and Twins are among the other teams with possible interest.

Pena, 24, does not fit the Red Sox's typical offensive mold; his career on-base percentage is .303, and he has struck out 288 times and drawn only 54 walks in 898 lifetime plate appearances.

However, he has prodigious power, averaging one home run every 16.2 at-bats. He could serve as a backup for center fielder Coco Crisp — a position the Sox want to address — but is more suited for the corners.

Arroyo, 29, is the type of affordable pitcher that the Reds want to acquire — he is signed for $3.5 million this season, $3.8 million in 2007 and $3.95 million in '08. Pena will earn $1.25 million this season.

The Red Sox, however, also are shopping right-hander Matt Clement and left-hander David Wells; they offered Clement to the Phillies and several other clubs last week, and reportedly are discussing him in a possible deal for Pirates first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson.

If Gonzalez makes the team, it is unclear what his role might be. David Ortiz is the Sox's full-time designated hitter and Trot Nixon their right fielder. It is possible the Sox will trade Nixon if they acquired Pena.

Gonzalez, 35, had only one at-bat last season with the Indians due to a strained right hamstring, and appeared in only 33 games with the Royals because of injuries in 2004.

Gonzalez, who has hit 434 career homers, did not make Puerto Rico's 30-man roster for the World Baseball Classic, but he has been working out with the intention of resuming his major-league career.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I think Arroyo would get hammered in GABP...JMHO

AA ERA
    I dont think Arroyo is worth Pena. I dont think a #3 starter(2 starter for the Reds) is worth a guy that has the potential of Pena. First, why did we trade Casey if they are going to do this? Two, I dont think Arroyo is going to lead the Reds to the division title. So why trade future for now?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The thing that is inriguing about Arroyo is that he is worth the money he is getting. But I honestly think Clement would be the better deal for us.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If I were the Reds I'd trade for high-level or mid-level starting pitching specs...not Clement or Arroyo...

MLB ERA
    Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm kind of torn on it. I would prefer Clement over Arroyo.

I'm trying to find out if this might be close to happening.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah, with all the write ups on this, it seems like it is a pretty big rumor. Let us know something ASAP CRF!

I agree with Providence and CRF

I wouldn't want Arroyo in the GABP. In a park that isn't forgiving, Arroyo's tendancy to hit guys may get him in a lot more trouble. I also agree with CRF that Clement, with some money paid, would be a better option for both sides. He'd likely fit better back in the NL and the Sox didn't give him an unofficial trade clause.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

As for the rumor itself, it makes sense. The Sox may not trust Nixon after his injury prone past couple of years and want to go younger. It's essentially dealing from a surplus on both sides. I still think the Sox have to put something in to get WMP
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Arroyo and Clement are both shit. I want the Red Sox to give up Lester or Papelbon if they want Wily Mo.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Of course we would all love papelbon and would salivate over Lester, but I don't see it as likely.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Arroyo and Clement are both shit. I want the Red Sox to give up Lester or Papelbon if they want Wily Mo.
    Im going to go on record right now saying there is less than 0% chance of this ever happening. The Red Sox would have to be freaking insane to take Pena for either of them. Wells is old and apparently wants to head back to the west coast, Miller is still an injury concerned, and pitching spects like Lester and Papelbon are both still extremely young. If we were trading Dunn then theyd probably part with Lester and Papelbon but not for Wily Mo.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And we would be insane to give up a young potential filled player for Arroyo. (And FYI, Wily Mo is younger than Papelbon.)

Not to mention for the few (I dont think anyone here) who thinks that Arroyo will be our savior is dead wrong. A hittable pitcher who is not exactly racking up the strikeouts. Hey, that sounds like the upside of our rotation. Sure Arroyo is an ok pitcher but not one with the stuff or potential to dominate year in and year out. You don't eat a piece of fruit when it's not ripe and you shouldn't be trading players who have yet to reach their prime for players at less value when this will not put us over the edge and into a contender.

If it was Clement, I wouldn't be thrilled but at least that is a bit more in the right direction of who they should be targeting in general. Although like it was mentioned, prospects, prospects, prospects. Will someone give up one of high enough value? Who knows. But given that the Reds can play both Pena and Kearns fulltime, let's hope one can shine enough that another team would be willing to letgo a pitcher with high potential and success in AA or higher.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast