Jocketty on Rolen, well, not on Rolen but you get the idea
Posted by JohnFay at 7/10/2009 5:24 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty would not comment on the the Scott Rolen report from the Toronto Sun. He can't. It's tampering to talk about another team's players.

"I'm not going to talk about any specific player," Jocketty said. "We've said all along that we're looking for a right-handed hitter. So I can see where that speculation comes from. But we're looking more for someone who can play the outfield."

Rolen's would make nearly $6 million for the rest of this year and he'll make $11 million next year.

The Reds had the flexibility to add Mark De Rosa's salary. Jocketty said they could still add payroll.

"I don't think anything has changed there," Jocketty said.

I think the only way a Reds-Rolen trade happens is if the Blue Jays are willing to take Edwin Encarnacion.

It's pretty clear that the Reds have players that other teams are interested in. Young pitching is the No. 1 commodity in the baseball. The Reds have three rookies in their bullpen and a plenty of prospects at the Double-A level and above.

"I've been getting a lot of calls," Jocketty said.

Stay tuned -- 21 days until the trade deadline.
Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati Cincinnati Reds | Cincinnati.Com

I wonder if the Reds are really looking at Alex Rios and not Scott Rolen. I would NOT want Rios at his current contract, but it sounds like it would fit more to what Jocketty is wanting (but frankly I don't get the Rolen worship going on about with some Reds fans, a lot of time has passed since the Reds almost had him when he was a Philly.)